Workstand

alan winstanley
alan winstanley Posts: 10
edited February 2013 in Workshop
Hi,
Why is the preferred method clamping by the seat post rather than the top tube ??

Comments

• Seat post every time for me - and many also reccomend getting a cheap aluminium seat post if you have a carbon fibre one.

In most cases (I would actually suspect/expect it may actually be in all cases) the seat post will be a lot less likely to be damaged (thin walled light weight tubes etc) by a clamp that tt.
  • TommyEss
    TommyEss Posts: 1,855
    If you're really concerned, you can use one that clamps the dropout, with the bike resting on the BB shell. I bought the Elite version, there's a good (albeit pricey one) from Park Tools also.

My one (price seems to have risen quite a bit since I got mine. There's a Tacx one at the same price that looks to have a few nice add-ons)
    Cannondale Synapse 105, Giant Defy 3, Giant Omnium, Giant Trance X2, EMC R1.0, Ridgeback Platinum, On One Il Pompino...
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    Hi,
    Why is the preferred method clamping by the seat post rather than the top tube ??
    the seat post is designed to be clamped. the frame tubes are not.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • nicklouse wrote:
    Hi,

That's what I was trying to say in my round about way :D
  • nicklouse wrote:
    Hi,

That's what I was trying to say in my round about way :D

Thanks Guys, but why ?. I've been doing the top tube since I got it with no probs. Is the top tube really that delicate ?

Seatpost designed to be clamped ? really, how ?

cheers
  • TommyEss
    TommyEss Posts: 1,855
    Your seat clamp clamps the seat post - it's strong in that direction.

The top tube isn't designed to take a lot of force in that direction, more for lengthways from head tube to seat tube - depending how exotic a frame you've got, the wall thickness can be scarily thin, particularly triple butted tubes etc. Clamp too tight and it'll fold in on itself.
    Cannondale Synapse 105, Giant Defy 3, Giant Omnium, Giant Trance X2, EMC R1.0, Ridgeback Platinum, On One Il Pompino...
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    Seat post, ie the thing your saddle is attached to, not seat tube. There's a difference. The seat post is designed to be clamped in order to keep it in position.
    My alu frame has some very thin walled tubes in places so I'm very careful when using the workstand.
  • Thanks,

I've not been clamping mine hard more of a support really whilst I clean & fettle