Sensa Romagna - possible new bike

Daz555
Daz555 Posts: 3,976
edited April 2013 in Road buying advice
I have been considering the Sensa Romagna Custom: http://www.sensabikes.com/product_info. ... cts_id=568

I am a regular mountain biker but this will be my first road bike in many many, many years. I love the looks and the spec for the money (£660 gets you the bike with Tiagra) but am slight concerned about the geometry. At 5'11" and 32" inside leg and very average proportions I'd be looking at the 54 or 56cm.

Quite simply - is it too racy for a 41yr old road newbie? I'm not looking for a bike like a sofa as I have no back or joint problems to speak of but I don't want to go too racy as I have no need.

Thoughts?
You only need two tools: WD40 and Duck Tape.
If it doesn't move and should, use the WD40.
If it shouldn't move and does, use the tape.

Comments

• Hi there

I have recently bought the Romagna (the special with 105) and absolutely love it.

In terms of sizing, I am just over 6" tall with a 33" inside leg, so not far off your height etc. I bought the 56 and it's just right for me. I would say, however, that the drop from the saddle to the bars is not far off as much as I am comfortable with (at the moment).

On this basis, I don't think a 56 would be too far off for you. Your saddle would be a little lower, bringing the handlebars a bit closer to you (height wise).

If you are unsure at all, give the guys at Merlin a call. They are really helpful and will discuss it with you. They suggested a 58 for me but I looked at the geometry and decided on the 56 purely because I wanted to have a slightly smaller, racier profile (I do no more than 50 - 60 miles and mostly 20k tris).

Hope that helps
  • Daz555
    lbmxj560 wrote:
    In terms of sizing, I am just over 6" tall with a 33" inside leg, so not far off your height etc. I bought the 56 and it's just right for me. I would say, however, that the drop from the saddle to the bars is not far off as much as I am comfortable with (at the moment).

Hope that helps
    Many thanks for the response.

Just to clarify the point about bar position in relation to the seat. As you saying the stretch to the bars and the drop to the bars from the seat is not as much as you are used to? (ie it is more relaxed than you would normally go for).
  • YIMan
    YIMan Posts: 576
    I read it that the drop is the pretty much the maximum he is comfortable with.
  • Daz555
    YIMan wrote:
    I read it that the drop is the pretty much the maximum he is comfortable with.
    Reading it again I think you are right.
  • passout
    passout Posts: 4,425
    I'm 5'9' with a 31'' inside leg and almost always go for 54cm standard frame (sometimes 53cm). From what you say I guess a 56cm is more likely to be right but you may well be fine on 54cm (perhaps with a longer stem). I'd call Merlin, unless you intend to visit them.
    'Happiness serves hardly any other purpose than to make unhappiness possible' Marcel Proust.
  • Daz555
    After a good chat with Merlin, they have advised me to go for the 56cm.

The top tube effective length on the 56cm is only 5mm longer than the 54cm and by going with the 56cm my seat is going to be relatively lower in relation to the bars which should suit me better comfort wise.....I think I understood that right! :? :mrgreen:
  • dwanes
    dwanes Posts: 954
    Yes spot on.
    I am the same height and inside leg as you, and just about every bike I tried recently I was more comfortable with a 56(ish)cm frame due to the lower seat height in relation to the bars.
  • Daz555
    Well I have now been riding my Sensa Romagna for 2 weeks and it fits like a glove. I am delighted I went for the 56 over the 54 as the drop from seat to bars is perfect - I could even see myself removing a spacer as my fitness and flexibility improve - but not in any rush to start meddling.

Not too delighted with Merlin's delivery time - took 4 weeks to get the bike, but I am very pleased with the way they put it together and with the build quality of the Sensa frame - the welds and paint job are lovely. Bike has a full Tiagra groupset and I'm very pleased with that also - as an MTBer used to hydro discs I'm more than satisfied with the brakes as they seem powerful and have good modulation.

Ridden about 100km on it so far and loved every one of them.
  • Adamkalin
    Adamkalin Posts: 39
    Hi Daz, thanks for the update- with all the "Which bike?" threads its always good to hear the story through to the end- and makes me think I should update my own! Its great to hear you're happy with your purchase- dont forget to put up some pictures!

I went for a romagna myself in the end but after three weeks Im still waiting. To be fair Merlin's website did say 14-21 days build time + delivery but one cant help but worry the order has been misplaced- especially when I noticed they had an intake of Romagna stock last week! I'll keep my fingers crossed that itll come from the suppliers soon. Patience is a virtue, good things come to those who wait, etc etc. Still, its good to hear that you got yours in the end which gives me hope!

Happy riding :-)
    "There's only one way to get rid of Sagan and that's literally to kill him." -David Harmon, Eurosport, Ronde van Vlaanderen.
  • mhj999
    mhj999 Posts: 122
    Adamkalin wrote:
    Hi Daz, thanks for the update- with all the "Which bike?" threads its always good to hear the story through to the end- and makes me think I should update my own! Its great to hear you're happy with your purchase- dont forget to put up some pictures!

I went for a romagna myself in the end but after three weeks Im still waiting. To be fair Merlin's website did say 14-21 days build time + delivery but one cant help but worry the order has been misplaced- especially when I noticed they had an intake of Romagna stock last week! I'll keep my fingers crossed that itll come from the suppliers soon. Patience is a virtue, good things come to those who wait, etc etc. Still, its good to hear that you got yours in the end which gives me hope!

Happy riding :-)

dont worry too much - my Giulia took 5 weeks to arrive (it was the custom one so i tweaked it), well worth it though, absolutely love it.
    Sensa Giulia 105
  • Adamkalin
    Hope so! I suppose the anticipation of waiting just adds to the excitement, but its tough to see the weekends roll by getting lighter and (marginally) warmer when I could be out riding on it!
    "There's only one way to get rid of Sagan and that's literally to kill him." -David Harmon, Eurosport, Ronde van Vlaanderen.
  • wiggofan
    wiggofan Posts: 30
    To my relatively untrained eye it seems crazy ordering a bike without even having even sat on it. I understand at the moment Merlin are the sole UK distributors. Does that mean there's no way to have a look at it 'in the flesh' first?

Also, do Sensa have their own sizing chart (I'm interested in the Romagna Special)? I'm 6' 3", 34" inseam, getting on a bit and have some lower back issues, so I'd prefer there to be little or no handlebar drop in relation to the saddle. Any sizing suggestions would be really appreciated.
    No longer a Wiggo fan
  • Greg-46a
    Greg-46a Posts: 24
    Hi Wiggofan, I'm about the same size as you (6'3", but 35" inseam), in my early 40s with occasional lower back issues. I recently got a 60cm Sensa Trentino from Merlin, fits me perfectly, despite never having sat on it.
    For info I just measured the saddle/handlebar, it's about 12cm from the top of the saddle to the top of the bars (with a 25mm spacer on the stem), if that helps.
    I emailed Merlin to get a handle on size before I bought, so would definitely be worth contacting them.
  • wiggofan
    wiggofan Posts: 30
    Thanks for the reply Greg. My inseam is actually nearer 35" than 34", so 60cm would probably be a good fit for me. It's just the 12cm drop that concerns me. 6 might be just about manageable with my back but 12 is really too much. How many more spacers can be added? I'll do what you did though and call them.

Also, I guess there's no practical way of having a look at the bike in the flesh first. Is that right?
    No longer a Wiggo fan
  • Daz555
    wiggofan wrote:
    Thanks for the reply Greg. My inseam is actually nearer 35" than 34", so 60cm would probably be a good fit for me. It's just the 12cm drop that concerns me. 6 might be just about manageable with my back but 12 is really too much. How many more spacers can be added? I'll do what you did though and call them.

Also, I guess there's no practical way of having a look at the bike in the flesh first. Is that right?
    Depends where you live. A dealer in London sells them as well iirc.
  • wongataa
    wongataa Posts: 1,001
    wiggofan wrote:
    It depends on whether you can easily get to Merlin Cycles.
  • Adamkalin
    Hi Wiggofan, I am also a lanky barsteward with long legs, and I have also recently bought a Romagna. Ive written some info about the process on the thread here: http://www.bikeradar.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=40042&t=12909238 which could be useful for you.

Sadly there isnt really a practical way to view if in the flesh first unless you live near Preston, as the London dealer (thebicycleman) does not stock them as such. The Sensa is worth considering anyway though, its a great bike for the price! Cheers.