Cafe Stop Lock

anto164
anto164 Posts: 3,500
edited February 2013 in Road buying advice
So i've started riding more on my own, and not with a club any more. It's just easier to get out when i can.

If i'm out on my own, I tend to go out and do between 60-90miles on the weekend, and i normally schedule in a stop at a cafe to get a hot drink or something along those lines. Now, as i'm on my own i'm a teeeeny bit nervous about my expensive summer bike being left outside unnatended. (and my winter bike thinking about it!)

Because of this, i'd like to get a small cable lock, but does anyone have any recommendations?

The only pre-requisite that i have, is that it's small enough to go into my jersey pocket.

Many thanks.

Comments

• flasher
    flasher Posts: 1,734
    I have one of these:

http://www.tweekscycles.com/bike-access ... cable-lock

Not that secure but enough for a cafe stop, and fits easily in a pocket.
  • I have this one - http://www.amazon.co.uk/Ultra-Secure-Co ... 883&sr=8-1

As per Flasher they are OK, for locking to posts etc whilst inside they are a good enough as a deterrent but not sure how long it would take a thief to break compared to say a D-lock.

Is small enough to put in your pocket & I have used on a club run to lock 2 bikes to a post with no issues though only through the frames and rear wheels as couldn't get it to do that and the front wheels.
    Pain hurts much less if its topped off with beating your mates to top of a climb.
  • itboffin
    itboffin Posts: 20,062
    If there areas not safe and you do the same route enough leave a lock somewhere nearby then you can just take a key 8)
    Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • antfly
    antfly Posts: 3,276
    That would give a thief plenty of oppurtinity to work out how to unlock it though and then return when the bike is there. Possibly.
    Smarter than the average bear.
  • fluff.
    fluff. Posts: 771
    Those retractable cable locks all look the same to me (there's a few on Amazon), the Abus one is more expensive for no reason I can see. Not sure I would trust something you can cut through with pliers personally, maybe park it next to someone with no lock at all? :)
  • Have been wondering about getting one of these - similar to the Abus but with some kind of alarm - might be just the ticket for a cafe stop lock: http://www.tesco.com/direct/yale-lock-a ... 9-7204.prd
  • itboffin
    itboffin Posts: 20,062
    well perhaps i've found the one other reason its good to live here in the middle of fecking nowhere, there's NO one for miles because they're nothing here.
    Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • fluff. wrote:
    Those retractable cable locks all look the same to me (there's a few on Amazon), the Abus one is more expensive for no reason I can see. Not sure I would trust something you can cut through with pliers personally, maybe park it next to someone with no lock at all? :)

Feel quite bad but thats why I use mine on our club runs, we have had in the past a few bikes being stolen though none more than you would expect. But I guess if I can put a thief off and make them look at bikes that are not locked up its better than nothing.
    Pain hurts much less if its topped off with beating your mates to top of a climb.
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    I would not bother with a cable lock if you are on your own. Fine perhaps in a group when it makes other bikes easier to take so sparing yours. Have the Abus one myself and have used for just that. Its a great cable lock, but its designed for locking up your helmet, not your bike!

You can easily carry a more substantial lock, but even with this it would be best to find a cafe where you can keep an eye on your bike to some degree.

Problem I had when finding a cafe lock was that they are much too long (therefor bigger/heavier) for what you need. Found an Abus one that is far better than a cable lock but fits in a water bottle container or jersey pocket without too much hassle.
  • pkripper
    pkripper Posts: 652
    just do everything you can to slow someone down - a small cable lock, helmet straps through the wheel, and leave it in 53/11, and sit by the window. If they can get that off and moving before you're on top of them, then they've earnt it!
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    Carbonator wrote:
    I would not bother with a cable lock if you are on your own. Fine perhaps in a group when it makes other bikes easier to take so sparing yours.

I'd disagree here. Firstly, you can always find a cafe where other bikes are parked so giving yours the inconvenience advantage and secondly, even if there aren't any other bikes around, a remote cafe isn't the obvious place for organised bike theft. Obviously, it is a risk but even one of these little locks must surely reduce that risk.
    g00se wrote:

Ah ha! Useful this. Might see if I can pick one up this lunchtime - will report back. I just want something to reduce my paranoia. It's more when you go to places where there are quite a few people about and someone might take to a bit of opportunist thieving.
    Faster than a tent.......
  • Anonymous
    Thats fine if you are happy with it then. Its cheap and easy to carry.

Only other thing that did worry me about them was that an opportunistic thieve may take one look and think they were 'snappable'. Just grab the bike and give it a massive tug. I feel my Abus one may hold up, but not so sure how my frame would fare :(
    Not something they are likely to do with a bigger lock.
  • rolf_f
    Carbonator wrote:
    Thats fine if you are happy with it then. Its cheap and easy to carry.

Only other thing that did worry me about them was that an opportunistic thieve may take one look and think they were 'snappable'. Just grab the bike and give it a massive tug. I feel my Abus one may hold up, but not so sure how my frame would fare :(
    Not something they are likely to do with a bigger lock.

I doubt I'd try to attach a bike to something with one of those - I think I'd run it through frames, wheels and chainset to just make it unrideable. Ultimately, if you are expecting a serious theft attempt you need a D lock and if I was that worried I'd just not bother with the cake!
  • A cable lock is only going to deter the ill-equipped opportunist. But the well-equipped bike thief (van, power tools etc) is going to take your bike come what may.
    Not sure I would trust something you can cut through with pliers personally, maybe park it next to someone with no lock at all? :)

That's the point of an awful lot of security measures. You'll not stop a determined thief/robber/burglar whatever you do, but a lot of the time fairly modest measures can make your property slightly less attractive than your neighbours'.
    They use their cars as shopping baskets; they use their cars as overcoats.
  • Carbonator wrote:
    Only other thing that did worry me about them was that an opportunistic thieve may take one look and think they were 'snappable'.

That's why the alarm option - which I linked to - makes sense if it worked. You have a lock that would slow a thief down and would alert you if it was tampered with, assuming you're in earshot, which you would be if buying a drink in a newsagent, in a cafe etc.
  • rolf_f
    ooermissus wrote:
    Carbonator wrote:
    Only other thing that did worry me about them was that an opportunistic thieve may take one look and think they were 'snappable'.

That's why the alarm option - which I linked to - makes sense if it worked. You have a lock that would slow a thief down and would alert you if it was tampered with, assuming you're in earshot, which you would be if buying a drink in a newsagent, in a cafe etc.

I think the optimum solution would be one of the cheap, flimsy cable locks but with the cable itself hollow and filled with sarin gas. No need to worry about your cake stop being spoiled by alarms - finish at leisure and the only bother is clambering over the dead body of the thief and his cable cutter to get to your bike!

Incidentally, picked up one of the Clas Ohlsen ones at lunchtime so I'll report back on that later once I've had a look at it.
  • I've got an Abus one and it's perfect for cafe stops. If Im on my own I try to use a cafe where I can see my bike and the abus means someone can't just run off with the bike. If anyone trys to touch my bike (it's never happened yet) I'd be able to get out of the cafe quicker than they could bust the lock. It's dead light and a perfect in a jersey pocket. Of course I'd never use it in a busy town or city but for a quiet village cafe stop its fine.
  • rolf_f
    Re the Clas Ohlson one.

Looks perfectly functional. Says the cable is 80cm on the packet but it is only 65cm - which is what the website says. Probably why they are selling them off cheap!

Compared to the Abus and similar (you can get what appears to be the same lock as the Abus but badged Lifeventure for £10 - http://www.amazon.co.uk/Life-Venture-Li ... escription

The Abus and similar have a 90cm 2.5mm cable whilst the Ohlson and other smaller ones (another Lifeventure can be had for about £6.00) have about 65cm of 1.5mm cable in a proportionately smaller, lighter case (95x65x20mm Abus and 75x50x15mm for the Ohlson).

The Ohlson is long enough to lock a chainset through the frame to the front wheel.
  • GGBiker
    GGBiker Posts: 450
    I've been on large club runs where there has been about £100k of bikes left unattended outside a coffee shop, a well prepared thief could do very nicely!
  • Anonymous
    There is one we do where the car park/front of store is very near the road, and the cafe bit is right at the back.
    Always go out half expecting for a flatbed to have come along and scooped a load of bikes up.
    I always take my one up from cable lock lock there!
  • andrew_s
    andrew_s Posts: 2,511
    I'd probably go for an alarm padlock, locked round the chain & chainring, and possibly with a lightweight cable round a wheel.
    On a cafe stop you should be in earshot most of the time, unless it's a garden centre with the cafe at the far end.