bike insurance recommendations?

Sprool
Sprool Posts: 1,022
edited February 2013 in Road buying advice
Had a rather nasty crash at the weekend, got off pretty lightly in hindsight after hitting an armco on a bend at 35mph, lack of judgement on my part and some loose gravel in the gutter. Amazingly nothing broken, bike or body, just ended up with an interesting new handlebar shape, but it got me thinking it was about time I got some insurance cos I couldn't afford to replace the bike at the moment if it had been a write-off. That and the regular reports of thefts in the area mean I need to get myself insured. It's not an expensive bike (£750) but I wondered if anyone had recommendations and experience with any particular companies that would give me good accident and theft cover?

Comments

• Certainly something i'd like to know. hurting a costly carbon frame would not be nice on the pocket.
  • Have a look at the Marks & Spencer home insurance. It covers bikes (new for old) and even if stolen when away from home (IIRC). I think that the limit was £6k per bike and you have to specify any bike over £1,000 but I might have mis-remembered that. Either way, I thought it was a good policy so worth a look.
    FCN: 3 on the singlespeed, 4 on the roadie.
  • TakeTurns
    TakeTurns Posts: 1,075
    I'm insured with BC. Also get a discount because of my membership. Works out relatively cheap for both my bikes. It's great if you go abroad with your bike and race on it as well. It gives you options based on what type of riding you do in order to get you the best deal.

Haven't had to make a claim through them before, but I've heard it's a speedy process.
  • I use E&L insurance, who get some good & bad reports but they are the cheapest i've found for my bikes & offer a lot on paper. Cover all the essential stuff & are always helpful on the phone.
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    I use E&L insurance, who get some good & bad reports but they are the cheapest i've found for my bikes & offer a lot on paper. Cover all the essential stuff & are always helpful on the phone.
    just make sure you read all the small print and do exactly as it says.

I know too many Farmers and students who hate them.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • nicklouse wrote:
    I use E&L insurance, who get some good & bad reports but they are the cheapest i've found for my bikes & offer a lot on paper. Cover all the essential stuff & are always helpful on the phone.
    just make sure you read all the small print and do exactly as it says.

I know too many Farmers and students who hate them.

Thanks buddy, always do, but good advice.
  • Grill
    Grill Posts: 5,610
    Use the SEARCH feature. This question comes up once or twice a week.
    English Cycles V3 | Cervelo P5 | Cervelo T4 | Trek Domane Koppenberg
  • Sprool
    Sprool Posts: 1,022
    i used the search function but all i got was a big long post slanging off certain insurance companies and as usual ending up in an o/t argument. Zzzzz.