gear and brake cables

danedan679
danedan679 Posts: 65
edited February 2013 in Road buying advice
I'm upgrading my Bianchi flat bar to sram force with v-brakes. the avid brakes didn't come with any cables, the double tap shifters came with the cables but no outer bits.

i've been looking at some options but have some questions...

is there a difference between mountain bike brake cables and road bike? for a flat bar would i need mountain bike?
will road gear cables be ok in the flat bar double-tap shifters?
does anyone know what slickwire is?
will yokozuna reaction work on a flat bar?
should i be considering something else?

cheers

daniel

Comments

• maddog 2
    maddog 2 Posts: 8,114
    So you're still keeping the flat bar, just changing the pods right?

Brake cable are different but only in the end they have - MTB have a barrel end, road STI use a pear-shaped end. So whatever levers you run will dictate which cables to use. If you're running flat bar double taps then you need separate V brake levers, which will need a barrel end, so buy MTB brake cables.

Sram flat bar double taps run standard gear cables but officially Sram run 1.1mm cables, whereas Shimano are 1.2mm. 1.2mm cables will fit though, in practice.

Isn't slickwire a name for Jagwires coated cables?

Not used Yokozuna but they have a decent rep. Jagwire Ripcord are good for MTB bake cables (just fitted a set).
    Facts are meaningless, you can use facts to prove anything that's remotely true! - Homer
  • cycleclinic
    cycleclinic Posts: 6,865
    Transfil cables are cheaper and work very well too. V-brake levers are essential to run v-brake. If you use your canti levers you will not be able to stop the bike effectively.
    http://www.thecycleclinic.co.uk -wheel building and other stuff.
  • thanks, that's really helpful