Recommend tights with no arse-crack seam

ratsbeyfus
ratsbeyfus Posts: 2,841
edited February 2013 in Road buying advice
Hi
I have one pair of tights (Shutt) that I wear on only the coldest days. They are unpadded, roubaix with some kind of windstopper fabric on the front. Unfortunately they have a seam that runs along the arse crack which causes an eye-watering blister to form even through the thick chamois of the bib shorts I wear underneath.

So, can anyone recommend similar spec unpadded tights that don't have the seam, or at least a flat seam?

Failing that, can anyone rercommend a similar spec padded tight? Ideally looking for an end of season bargain that someone's spotted - don't really want to spend any more than £80.

Thanks in advance for any advice.

I had one of them red bikes but I don't any more. Sad face.

@ratsbey

Comments

• You must have a massively sensitive arse mate or thin pad on your shorts underneath.

I've been wearing my Shutt bibs (no pad) all winter and not had an issue with the seam.
    Pain hurts much less if its topped off with beating your mates to top of a climb.
  • goonz
    goonz Posts: 3,106
    Shutt pads with un flat seams? that seems mighty strange.

All my tights are padded so no issues really, why not just get padded tights?
    Scott Speedster S20 Roadie for Speed
    Specialized Hardrock MTB for Lumps
    Specialized Langster SS for Ease
    Cinelli Mash Bolt Fixed for Pain
    n+1 is well and truly on track
    Strava http://app.strava.com/athletes/1608875
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    You must have a massively sensitive ars* mate or thin pad on your shorts underneath.

Even if he did, surely the seam would be following his arse-crack. The only obvious explanation is that he doesn't have an arse-crack :lol:
    Faster than a tent.......
  • t4tomo
    t4tomo Posts: 2,643
    I found when buying some winter tights that the fit between brands was very different, in terms oof fit over legs waist etc. I went for so Louis Garneau ones from Evans which were much better fit for me that Altura and something else I tried.

I try a few pairs rather tahn buying blind. I might not be the seam per se, could just be how it fits your weird shaped ars@ :D
    Bianchi Infinito CV
    Bianchi Via Nirone 7 Ultegra
    Brompton S Type
    Carrera Vengeance Ultimate Ltd
    Gary Fisher Aquila '98
    Front half of a Viking Saratoga Tandem
  • Rolf F wrote:
    You must have a massively sensitive ars* mate or thin pad on your shorts underneath.

Even if he did, surely the seam would be following his arse-crack. The only obvious explanation is that he doesn't have an arse-crack :lol:

Firstly let me say I'm not expert on the OP's arse or arse crack - lets get that out of the way.

But the seam does run from the middle of the back through the arse and little dan area too. But my Shutt bibs where the material is joined is not flat locked seamed but appears to be rolled flat and covered. But I can never feel mine through my shorts underneath.
    Pain hurts much less if its topped off with beating your mates to top of a climb.
  • ratsbeyfus
    ratsbeyfus Posts: 2,841
    Firstly, thanks for all the comments about my arse. You are all very lucky that I don't upload a photo. :-)

Weirdly, I have never suffered from saddle sore on rides less than four hours in the saddle, but just one 40 minute commute in the Shutt tights (with a range of different bib shorts under - thin and thick padded ones) and I'm in pain.

Guess I'll have to buy a pair of tights with a pad - any recommendations?

I had one of them red bikes but I don't any more. Sad face.

@ratsbey
  • MattC59
    MattC59 Posts: 5,408
    ratsbeyfus wrote:
    Firstly, thanks for all the comments about my ars*. You are all very lucky that I don't upload a photo. :-)

Weirdly, I have never suffered from saddle sore on rides less than four hours in the saddle, but just one 40 minute commute in the Shutt tights (with a range of different bib shorts under - thin and thick padded ones) and I'm in pain.

Guess I'll have to buy a pair of tights with a pad - any recommendations?

These: http://www.westbrookcycles.co.uk/clothing-c7/tights-c54/endura-equipe-thermo-windshield-biblongs-p93573

Fantastic bib longs, I've used them all winter, in all weathers. They've got a great pad, one of the best I've used, so no blistered ar$e, and some well placed water resistant panels on the shins and ar$e. Plenty of reviews on the web, but highly recommended.
    Science adjusts it’s beliefs based on what’s observed.
    Faith is the denial of observation so that Belief can be preserved
  • on-yer-bike
    on-yer-bike Posts: 2,974
    Did you forget to take your thong off?
    Pegoretti
    Colnago
    Cervelo
    Campagnolo