best road tyres for my mtb

daftcol
daftcol Posts: 8
edited February 2013 in Road buying advice
I have a scott aspect 30 2012 love it, but I'm doing the great yorkshire bike ride wetherby to filey, I can't afford a road bike so can I put road tyres on and which would be best, I am trying to do between 30 and 40 mile on sundays to be ready, would I benefit much having road tyres
Any help or suggestions would be very much appreciated
Thanks daftcol

Comments

• City Jets may be fine for zipping about town, but they're hardly a proper 559 road tyre. My advice is to pick up a pair of foldable Kojaks in 35-559 instead. You won't be sorry.

http://www.bike-components.de/products/ ... r=2&xtmcl=

I think you'll find the reduction in rolling resistance compared with knobby MTB tyres an eyeopener.
  • Maxis Detonators 1". 100 psi... grippy... Also available in 1.25"

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/NEW-2-Maxxis- ... 2c6483d04a
    tick - tick - tick
  • My commuter is a hardtail with rigid fork and 28c (1.125") Gatorskins. Beware they are very tight on some rims but they fit my Mavic Crossrides fairly easily. Nice ride, fast and compliant compared to narrower Gators.
  • notlongnow wrote:

+1, indeed... robust, fast and durable
    left the forum March 2023
  • Ouija
    Ouija Posts: 1,386
    City Jets are slow and really make you work for any speed. The Kojaks are faster but wear quickly and aren't very puncture proof. Continental Gatorskins are the fastest of the three and have the best puncture protection of the three. Owned all three numerous times in numerous sizes but keep going back to Gatorskins and Sport Contacts for lightweight, fast rolling puncture resistant tyres. Never tried Detonators (something to add to the list).

Also. Make sure you pump the tyres up seriously hard (look in the 100psi range) till it feels like riding on your rims. Bit uncomfortable but you'll really fly.
  • notlongnow wrote:

+2
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    Ouija wrote:
    City Jets are slow and really make you work for any speed.

TBH, I don't find City Jets slow at all but I suspect there are faster tyres. Given the OP is planning a fair bit of training on these tyres and then doing Gt Yorks cycle ride, I'd probably spend extra for something lighter and folding.

That said, if keeping things cheap is important, City Jets are reasonably quick, very puncture proof and last forever.
    Faster than a tent.......
  • I run Maxxis Xeniths on my MTB that I use for my 22 mile RT commute. Currently on offer at CRC. Been using them for the last 18 months. Run them at 80psi and the bike rolls along nicely.

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Mode ... elID=78379
  • zx6man
    zx6man Posts: 1,092
    notlongnow wrote:

+ another
  • Ouija
    Ouija Posts: 1,386
    goonersi wrote:
    I run Maxxis Xeniths on my MTB that I use for my 22 mile RT commute. Currently on offer at CRC. Been using them for the last 18 months. Run them at 80psi and the bike rolls along nicely.

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Mode ... elID=78379

Look interesting. What do they roll like? (have you tried any of the others listed for comparison?). Personally, i'd never go with slicks over 1.5" in width or over 450g weight (part of the reason i gave away my City Jets as they were a bit heavy and had an odd shape that seemed to give higher rolling resistence) if you want to achieve any sort of speed on a mountain bike. I often run 1.1" and 1.3" tyres on my hybrids with narrow frame and fork tubing as you can get away with it, but on a modern chunkier and more muscular looking frame and fork they can look kinda silly (never fit tyres that are thinner than the diameter of your fork legs, i say). I tend to use 1.5" Sport Contacts on my chunkier carbon frames for this reason but am always looking for an alternative so might try the Xeniths when it comes time to change (tried most of the others that come in 1.5" variants).
  • MANY THANKS TO ALL WHO RESPONDED
    SPOILT FOR CHOICE
    THANKS AGAIN DAFTCOL
  • Ouija wrote:
    Look interesting. What do they roll like? (have you tried any of the others listed for comparison?).

I get on fine with them. I run them at 80psi and they roll freely. I've not tried any others as I've been more than happy with these.

The puncture resistance is pretty good as well. I don't want to curse myself, but I've never had to stop at the side of the road in the last 18 months. 8)
  • simon_e
    simon_e Posts: 1,706
    City Jets may be fine for zipping about town, but they're hardly a proper 559 road tyre.
    Have you tried them?

I've been through 3 pairs and found them to roll and grip well on country lanes as well as in town, and you can't argue with the price :D
    I tried some Specialized All Condition 1" slicks thinking they'd surely be better. They weren't. Harsher ride on anything but billiard-smooth surfaces, less confident leant over, and I didn't notice the reduced weight on hills either.
    Aspire not to have more, but to be more.