29 or 26 - which bike size do I go for?

worb68
worb68 Posts: 75
edited February 2013 in MTB buying advice
I Currently have a 2011 Specialized Harddock disk. Rode my mates 2012 Giant Trance X4 at the weekend and WOW what a difference!! Didnt want to give it back. Was all set to get one of them and popped into local Giant store to have a peek at the 2013 version (which they didnt have - im not massiveley keen on the colours) and the knowledgeable guy in the shop told me to get a 29inch bike. I would be using it for trail riding in Swinley etc and riding along river paths etc. So what should I do - I never knew buying a bike was going to be so hard.

Go for the 2012 Trance X4:

http://www.paulscycles.co.uk/products.php?plid=m1b4s1p4425

Go for the 2013 Trance X 29er 2:

http://www.paulscycles.co.uk/products.php?plid=m1b4s154p4838

Or something else along these lines? Any ideas? Other makes - more bike for the money etc

Anyone gone from 26 to 29 - what was it like? Big difference, harder to ride, harder to ride the 29 on tight trails, is the 29 slow to accelerate?

The 2013 Giants have just come out and seem to not be discounted at all yet. Anyone know a way to get discounts on these at all?

Thanks for reading.

Comments

• rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    The Trance X4 is far better value. You need to try 26" & 29" bikes for yourself.
    Personally I like some 29ers and I like some 26" bikes, out of these two I would take the 26" just because it's so much better value.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Some prefer 29, some 26, and some have a 'horses for courses' approach, they definately hold speed better (easier), but it very much depends on what you like in your riding.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • Have to admit Giant make great bikes even if not everyone is a fan. Value for money and pretty reliable performance. Both wheel options will be comparable to the better bikes in each class.

I ride Swinley most times and i wonder if a 29er would make sense on some of the purpose built single tracks that are fun but so flat you need a 3 rd or 4 th lung keep an interesting pace. Maybe the wagon wheels would hold more speed through the turns, so there’d be less need for braking and less effort to accelerate back up to pace?? However if they didn’t hold that speed... it’d make things worse.

If you enjoy the trails over at the ‘advanced’ mtn bike spot – baby maker, deer hunter, etc, or some of the un-groomed light-freeride lines, I don’t see a 29er doing you any favours at all. And keep in mind that they’re building new trails in the forest and some look to be more gravity orientated - wide, fast, groomed with rollers and berms a plenty. A playful 26in wheel is going to shine more.

If you’re thinking the 29er, seriously try out one first. You don’t want to try your mates bike again to release his is still the better!
  • njee20
    njee20 Posts: 9,613
    If you enjoy the trails over at the ‘advanced’ mtn bike spot – baby maker, deer hunter, etc, or some of the un-groomed light-freeride lines, I don’t see a 29er doing you any favours at all

I'd say Swinley is ideal 29er territory - flat, twisty trails. I'd say Baby Maker, Deer Hunter etc are very much XC trails, and perfect for a 29er!

OP - you really need to try both and see what you like, but don't be put off by people saying 29ers are slow, not appropriate for twisty trails etc, they're far more competent than folk want to believe.
  • rockmonkeysc
    To be fair the "freeride" trails at Swinley are just crap. An average trail bike is more than enough for anything there.
    I would rather have a 29er at Swinley, it's all just fast, pedaly xc singletrack
  • njee20
    That's exactly the point I made, Swinley is very 'XC'.
  • worb68
    Swinley is my local trail centre where ive started out from. What about when I go elsewhere - surrey hills and further afield. Should I stick with a 26inch or will a 29 inch suit as well?
  • njee20
    It's personal, which is why you need to try a few, but for the Surrey Hills a 29er will still be ideal IMO.

Frankly unless you're doing a lot of 'big' riding with lots of jumps and drops etc then I'd probably opt for a 29er. YMMV.
  • rockmonkeysc
    It's more about how hard you want to ride in the future. 29ers are very good for XC and trail centre stuff (except tight switchback turns) but if you are a more aggressive rider they aren't as much fun. The ones I have tried I found the wheels quite flexy and the longer chain stays make it difficult to manual through rough stuff. They are more difficult to really throw in to turns . They definitely have their advantages though.
    Just don't let people persuade you that trail centre black graded trails are hardcore and need 6" of suspension, a 29er can do all of it.
  • njee20
    It's more about how hard you want to ride in the future

You're really splitting hairs, replace "you're doing" in my post with "you're intending to do" and it's the same statement!
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Or unless your local riding is very tight and twisty, when you may prefer a 26er (I do....)
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • worb68
    Thanks for replies. So question to people who have a 26 and 29 inch bike - what do you prefer? Also has anyone gone from a 26 to a 29 and which one do you prefer? And why did you do it?
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,348
    We can give you all sorts of bullsh1t about this, but you need to try both for yourself. There is no other way.

Have a look at my blog for my thoughts but remember that they are not the thoughts of someone in the know. Nor are anyone else's here (njee excepted maybe)
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • yeh really try them,

Peoples riding is so individual, i mean i can't stand them but i live on steeper tighter slopes.But i can see why people would like them especially people who interested in setting trail times and are more fitness/race orientated
  • I was going to swap my 26 carbon hardtail for a lower specced 29er until i had a go on the one in my size, im sticking with the 26, i just didnt get on with the manouverability of the 29er (maybe because it was a small frame and the geometry was different).

Some people rave about 29ers others dont, I would definitely try before you buy, id have really regretted swapping bikes!
    Riding a Merida FLX Carbon Team D Ultralite Nano from Mike at Ace Ultra Cycles, Wednesfield, Wolverhampton 01902 725444
  • You've tried the 26, you loved it. Buy one.

Don't beat yourself up about whether a 29 may or may not be better for this or that. The 26 Trance is a tried and tested excellent all round machine. You clearly like it and it won't let you down if your riding progresses.

BTW, do take note that the 2013 models are down graded from 2012 if you hadn't picked up on that. 2012 X4 broadly = 2013 X3. If you can stretch to the 2011 X3 (or X2) that would be somewhat better than the 2012 X4.
  • njee20
    Although ^^ that's a good point, I'd at least try a 29er, why rush the purchase? I don't own a 29er, but mainly because I've not changed my bike for a couple of years. If I bought a new bike now (primarily for XC racing) then it wouldn't have 26" wheels for sure.
  • RandG
    RandG Posts: 779
    worb68 wrote:
    Thanks for replies. So question to people who have a 26 and 29 inch bike - what do you prefer? Also has anyone gone from a 26 to a 29 and which one do you prefer? And why did you do it?

I have both, hardly look at my 26 now, just because...
  • worb68
    RandG - just because... Could you expand on that at all? Thanks.

I think ill have to test both. Thanks for replies so far.
  • RandG
    RandG Posts: 779
    I enjoy it more, it seems I put in less effort for better rewards, although it's a HT and my 26 is FS
  • rockmonkeysc
    I think you can only compare 26 against 29 if they are similar bikes.
  • chez_m356
    chez_m356 Posts: 1,893
    I think you can only compare 26 against 29 if they are similar bikes.
    this.... plus he's only had it a month, so there's the new toy factor :wink:
    Specialized Hardrock Sport Disc 10- CANYON Nerve AM 6 2011
  • njee20
    Bit of an apples/oranges comparison there though. Matt Page did as close to a scientific test as you can manage on 3 Felt's there was a length thread about it.
  • rockmonkeysc
    One person doing the test is not scientific. That just proves which bike worked better for that person, not what is best for everyone. A test with three similar bikes and a large random group of riders with different skill and fitness levels would be more scientific.
    I think it was Dirt that did a test with three bikes (26", 27" & 29") and three riders and came to the conclusion that 29" was faster for xc type stuff, 26" was faster on descents and 27" was very similar to 26". But they also came to the conclusion that 26" & 27" were the most fun and the riders couldn't really notice any difference between the two.