Hinault chute...

iainf72
iainf72 Posts: 15,784
edited February 2013 in Pro race
Friebe just tweeted this. Worth watching

http://www.ina.fr/sport/cyclisme/video/ ... lt.fr.html
Fckin' Quintana … that creep can roll, man.

Comments

• Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,490
    Love how he just gets up and gets on with it. Legend.
  • FJS
    FJS Posts: 4,820
    Great images... I also love how he has to get off his bike (undo toeclips :)) and walk on the climb of the Bastille in Grenoble (24%) - no compacts back then - and still wins the stage. And all this as a 22 year old in a year he won the Dauphine overall, LBL, Gent-Wevelgem and the GP des Nations
  • john_kline
    john_kline Posts: 2,151
    Funnily enough I was watching that the other day. He's always been my cycling hero. Watching him in 1978 on World of Sport made me want to race. Hard as nails.
  • Thanks for posting. Heavyweight. Those of you who got to watch him race (even if the coverage wasn't half what it is today) are very lucky.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • LutherB
    LutherB Posts: 544
    John Kline wrote:
    Funnily enough I was watching that the other day. He's always been my cycling hero. Watching him in 1978 on World of Sport made me want to race. Hard as nails.

Ditto for me
  • Absolute legend. I'm sure he must have punched a few people out in those clips somewhere!
    @JaunePeril

Winner of the Bike Radar Pro Race Wiggins Hour Prediction Competition
  • Met him a few times over the years... can be a surly mo-fo, to say the least. There's a great tale about him in Tour of Sweden one year (which was pro-am) and the Russians were lining it out despite the pros calling 'piano'... Hinault gets the shits, sprints up the side of the peloton, takes his hands off the bars and behind his back, and rides next to the poor Ruskis in defiance! They cracked...
  • deejay
    deejay Posts: 3,138
    Met him a few times over the years... can be a surly mo-fo, to say the least. There's a great tale about him in Tour of Sweden one year (which was pro-am) and the Russians were lining it out despite the pros calling 'piano'... Hinault gets the shits, sprints up the side of the peloton, takes his hands off the bars and behind his back, and rides next to the poor Ruskis in defiance! They cracked...
    Now that's one I havn't heard before.
    I've just looked up on my wall to see his picture is down.
    A climbing picture Tour of Lombardy side view with railings and him sitting on the tops.
    Organiser, National Championship 50 mile Time Trial 1972
  • That video should be played to every play-acting footballer as a lesson that someone breathing near you doesnt cause a near-death experience. Then the penalties for play-acting should be increased.
  • Love that, only ever seen photo's before. He gets off later on when the realization of what a near miss he had, hits him.

Never had posters of footballers or pop stars when I was a kid, just cyclists. Hinault was one of my favourites.
  • philbar72
    philbar72 Posts: 2,229
    Blimey, tough as old boots! Not seen these before, good stuff.
  • That's a great archive and you can purchase clips for download. I bought a 95 minute transmission of the Tom Simpson Ventoux stage of 1967 for a few Euros.
    http://www.ina.fr/sport/cyclisme/video/ ... pe.fr.html
  • The run (at least they used to) an open hill climb up the Bastille towards the end of the season every year. It's a beast of a climb, can't imagine tackling it after 200km!

It was always won by some rat faced midget everybody called "Blondie" when I was out there.
    "In many ways, my story was that of a raging, Christ-like figure who hauled himself off the cross, looked up at the Romans with blood in his eyes and said 'My turn, sock cookers'"

@gietvangent