chainset upgrade

leehigginbottom
leehigginbottom Posts: 5
edited February 2013 in MTB workshop & tech
Hi all,

I am have been riding my cannondale sl4 for well over a year now, once or twice a week, not really looking after it as much as i should.

Anyway I have noticed gears slipping and general gear shifting not being as good as it once was. Having discussion with a guy at my local bike shop he says that you should change your chain a couple of times a year to prolong the life of your cassette and chainsets. Is this true.

Anyway I am needing to change the chain along with the chainset (including the cranks - as they as badly worn on the bottom face). I have looked at the spec of my bike it has a Shimano M442 Octalink, I could make a direct replacement but I am thinking should I upgrade. Can you upgrade the chainset( including the cranks) without chaing the rest of the gear system (fornt/rear Derailleur) if you can could anyone recommend one?

Thanks

Lee

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    changing the chain can help things last longer.

and yes. or you could just change the worn rings.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • cycleclinic
    cycleclinic Posts: 6,865
    While it is true changing the chain will make things last longer the frequency of replacement may alarm yo. Saying changin it a couple of times a year may not cover it if your mileage is high enough or your ride is dreadful conditions.
    After all a muddy race can kill a drive train in a few hours.

For cheaper drive trains it may not actually cost more to leave the chain until shifting/skipping arrises and then change everything thats worn at once. If you are using expenive XTR cranks and ring then this may not be so adviseable.

The reast of you drive train does not know or care what cranks and chain rings you have. You could just change the chainrings, use a steel granny ring if you that alot as it won't wear out so fast.
    http://www.thecycleclinic.co.uk -wheel building and other stuff.