Custom wheelset set decision time!

thebadgerboy1982
thebadgerboy1982 Posts: 266
edited February 2013 in Road buying advice
Hi all,

Looking to get a set of custom wheels with H Plus Son Archetype rims, dt swis revolution spokes and aluminium nipples. I can't decide between some hope pro 3 or ambrosio hubs. The noisy hope free hub doesn't bother me but are they worth the extra price? Looking at 28 spokes, if I get the hopes I might get 24.
Looking to use the wheels all year round so sealed bearings would be good, would look towards a mix of 2cross and radial for the rear wheel and 2 cross or radial on the front. I'll be riding a lot of climbs so stiffness would be good. For what it's worth they will be on my cannondale supersix.
I would try to avoid anything that might corrode, so chromo is a no-go.

Any advice or views welcome!

Comments

• Monty Dog
    Monty Dog Posts: 20,614
    If riding all year, forget ally nipples - more hassle than they're worth IME. Likewise, DT Revs on rear driveside aren't strong enough unless you weigh 50kg - stick with double butted. Another hub option is Novatec 711/712. Spoke count depends on rider weight
    Make mine an Italian, with Campagnolo on the side..
  • Hi all,

Looking to get a set of custom wheels with H Plus Son Archetype rims, dt swis revolution spokes and aluminium nipples. I can't decide between some hope pro 3 or ambrosio hubs. The noisy hope free hub doesn't bother me but are they worth the extra price? Looking at 28 spokes, if I get the hopes I might get 24.
    Looking to use the wheels all year round so sealed bearings would be good, would look towards a mix of 2cross and radial for the rear wheel and 2 cross or radial on the front. I'll be riding a lot of climbs so stiffness would be good. For what it's worth they will be on my cannondale supersix.
    I would try to avoid anything that might corrode, so chromo is a no-go.

Any advice or views welcome!

You are misinformed in many ways... aluminium nipples, chromo (???), lacing patterns... have a chat with your builder before filling the shopping list... my advice is to pick one with more brain than others' wallet
    left the forum March 2023
  • pkripper
    pkripper Posts: 652
    Is avoid alloy nips, I had to quit a race last year after a nipple sheered in the front wheel.

Dt revs are great spokes though, I use them on my mountain bikes and they're far tougher than many say. I'd have no hesitation in using them on the road.

I've also used ambrosio hubs and they're fine. Great value in fact