Good value factory built wheels?

Calpol
Calpol Posts: 1,039
edited February 2013 in Road buying advice
Just spotted these
Campagnolo Neutron Ultra Clinchers. £450 if you include the current 10% off campag stuff at Ribble. I wonder how they would compare to 23mm handbuilts. good reviews on Wiggle and Bike Radar.

http://www.ribblecycles.co.uk/showPart.asp?part=CAMPWHFR450&bike=

Review
http://www.bikeradar.com/gear/category/components/wheel-sets/product/review-campagnolo-neutron-ultra-wheelset-11-44601

Comments

• rc856
    rc856 Posts: 1,144
    Can't speak for handbuilts but I've got a set of Zondas and Shamal Ultra and really like both.
    Roll well. Kept true.
  • maddog 2
    maddog 2 Posts: 8,114
    good spot. Campag-only freehub though.
    Facts are meaningless, you can use facts to prove anything that's remotely true! - Homer
  • It depends what you want to compare...
    People like to compare performance and there is nothing to compare in terms of speed I am afraid... What is the difference in performance between a BMW and the corresponding Audi? 5 bhp? Are you going to use them? Will one get you to Bristol earlier than the other?
    I am afraid your speed will be determined by your power output, wind, road surface, road traffic and signage, elevation profile and ride mates to a much greater extent than any wheel can do.

there is a lot to compare in terms of looks, comfort of ride and running costs... if these are of interest... :wink:
    left the forum March 2023
  • Monty Dog
    Monty Dog Posts: 20,614
    Neutrons are a good, proven design. Big Maggy won P-Rx on a pair so few worries about durability. Unless you feel compelled to go for a heavier, deep-section rim which will give a harsher ride. I regret selling mine after I bought some Ksyrium SLs - Mavics were scrapped after the rims wore out and Mavic don't provide spares after 5 years.
    Make mine an Italian, with Campagnolo on the side..
  • wasabi_m
    wasabi_m Posts: 164
    Was riding neutrons for a few months last year and really liked them. Only around 1300g so ride nicely. Dance up hill.

Now on khamsin so really notice the difference.