Frame crack - Is it paint cracking or CF?

elmoreynolds
elmoreynolds Posts: 33
edited February 2013 in Workshop
Hi, i have noticed after the first ride on my carbon fiber bike, that a crack appeared at the rear brake area and going under the seat stays. I was just going to ask the bikeradar community there opinion before taking it to a LBS. Do you think its paint cracking or the CF? The bike was put together by a professional mechanic so the correct torques on brakes were done.

2u4644o.jpg

1688s1v.jpg

Comments

• rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    Can't see a paint crack extending that far over one ride; I had an issue with dropout cracks on my Ribble. They took months to grow. I'd be straight back to the shop with that.
    Faster than a tent.......
  • drlodge
    drlodge Posts: 4,826
    Don't ride it! Take it back to the shop, there's clearly something very wrong and it is a crack.
    WyndyMilla Massive Attack | Rourke 953 | Condor Italia 531 Pro | Boardman CX Pro | DT Swiss RR440 Tubeless Wheels
    Find me on Strava
  • mattv
    mattv Posts: 992
    Something is moving. That's the only way paint cracks. Take it back and ask for a new frame. Unless you want your brake to tear off?
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    mattv wrote:
    Something is moving. That's the only way paint cracks.

No, paint can shrink and crack without any underlying movement - which is what happened to my Ribble. Which isn't what is happening here!
    Faster than a tent.......
  • mattv
    mattv Posts: 992
    Paint should be slightly flexible, at least when it's new. Any movement is either a paint failure or a crack on a bike this new. Either of which I would take back.