Harrogate TdF Cartel

AlunP
AlunP Posts: 106
edited February 2013 in Pro race
Tried to get a two night B&B booking for a certain weekend in 2014.

The B&B told me that the local B&Bs have all agreed to operate a 3 night minimum stay policy. It's organised by their trade body apparently.

I am no expert on competition law but I think this sort of anti-competitive cartel arrangement is unlawful. Have asked the OFT for advice.

Watch this space - anyone else hit this? Or got a booking?

Comments

• inkyfingers
    inkyfingers Posts: 4,400
    Tell them you're gay, they won't dare discriminate against you then.
    "I have a lovely photo of a Camargue horse but will not post it now" (Frenchfighter - July 2013)
  • ed_209
    ed_209 Posts: 17
    They're allowed to set their own terms on rental. There are some places (York in my experience) where they will only rent rooms for a whole weekend rather than one night. Basic capitalism - demand is high so the suppliers set their terms.

It's not particularly outrageous, but it can be mightily frustrating if you're not expecting it.

Eddie
  • AlunP
    AlunP Posts: 106
    To quote that celebrated wearer of the maillot a pois Monsieur Meatloaf

"I would do anything for the TdF, but I won't do that"

and Ed

I agree that individuals B&Bs, hotels can do what they like - but collective action is unlawful in the same way as BA and Virgin cannot agree to set fares on the Atlantic route.
  • petemadoc
    petemadoc Posts: 2,331
    edited February 2013
    AlunP wrote:
    I agree that individuals B&Bs, hotels can do what they like - but collective action is unlawful in the same way as BA and Virgin cannot agree to set fares on the Atlantic route.

You are right that collusion between the business is wrong but really, it's not worth getting your knickers in a twist about. The prices and terms were always going to be SKY high for the tour. Demand will be high.
  • This is clearly an anti-competitive agreement and prohibited by law. The mistake they made was admitting it was organised through a trade body - if they'd just said 'it's likely that everyone will have the same policy' then no-one would bat an eyelid.

Of course, whether anything is done about it is another matter. I wonder if campsites etc are all doing the same?
  • LutherB
    LutherB Posts: 544
    This is most certainly an abuse of a dominant position by a hard-core cartel.
  • AlunP wrote:
    Have asked the OFT for advice.

Good work. Let us know what they say.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • pottssteve
    pottssteve Posts: 4,069
    Rent a camper van and they can screw themselves.
    Head Hands Heart Lungs Legs
  • Try getting a campsite near Alpe D'Huez on a certain date in July. You have to book for a minimum stay of two weeks!
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    Seems a bit silly. The tour isn't there for three days. Why would I book in and miss it elsewhere ? Day trips for me I think.
  • durhamwasp
    durhamwasp Posts: 1,247
    As much as i dont agree with it, it unfortunately goes on everywhere - for instance every bank hol/school hol its a minimum stay of 3 nights on nearly every campsite in the lake district.

Don't blame the small B&B's for cashing in, in some respects. Tho, still dont like it.
    http://www.snookcycling.wordpress.com - Reports on Cingles du Mont Ventoux, Alpe D'Huez, Galibier, Izoard, Tourmalet, Paris-Roubaix Sportive & Tour of Flanders Sportive, Amstel Gold Xperience, Vosges, C2C, WOTR routes....
  • durhamwasp
    durhamwasp Posts: 1,247
    pottssteve wrote:
    Rent a camper van and they can screw themselves.

Hopefully u r right, im aiming to kip over on the mountain tops before both of the first 2 stages. Hopefully the UK police relax a bit and let it go on, rather than there usual "you cant sleep in that there" attitude.
    http://www.snookcycling.wordpress.com - Reports on Cingles du Mont Ventoux, Alpe D'Huez, Galibier, Izoard, Tourmalet, Paris-Roubaix Sportive & Tour of Flanders Sportive, Amstel Gold Xperience, Vosges, C2C, WOTR routes....
  • cougie wrote:
    Seems a bit silly. The tour isn't there for three days. Why would I book in and miss it elsewhere ? Day trips for me I think.

This
  • Sister lives in Leeds, parents live in Sheffield. Both have spare rooms, bosh
  • rodgers73
    rodgers73 Posts: 2,626
    durhamwasp wrote:

Hopefully u r right, im aiming to kip over on the mountain tops before both of the first 2 stages...

"Mountains" is a bit optimistic...
  • thefog
    thefog Posts: 197
    Try booking Knaresborough, Wetherby or any other area just on the periphery of Harrogate

A short ride into town then on both days - given likely road closures early - access for cars will be restricted.
  • RideOnTime
    RideOnTime Posts: 4,712
    The weekend of the Olympic Road Race the Hotel on Box Hill (forget it's name) reputedly was charging £190 a night. :roll: :roll: :roll:
  • have booked this at a reasonable price (£90 per night). about 5-6 miles from harrogate

http://www.thenewinnburntyates.co.uk/
  • hammerite
    hammerite Posts: 3,408
    cougie wrote:

Book and pay for 3 nights, but leave after 2?

This sort of thing happens everywhere for all sorts of different accommodation.
  • dave milne wrote:
    have booked this at a reasonable price (£90 per night). about 5-6 miles from harrogate

Thanks for the tip. Might try there myself so that I've got something sorted. This isnt one to leave till the last minute....
  • cal_stewart
    cal_stewart Posts: 1,840
    dave milne wrote:
    have booked this at a reasonable price (£90 per night). about 5-6 miles from harrogate

use to drink there once in a while about 10 years ago food was good to.
    eating parmos since 1981

Canyon Ultimate CF SLX Aero 09
    Cervelo P5 EPS
    www.bikeradar.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=40044&t=13038799
  • This is most certainly an abuse of a dominant position by a hard-core cartel.

Thats Yorkshire folk................the names Whitebread, George fron Leedz.......and I like what I say and I say what I bl**dy well like !
  • Living in Leeds I'm pretty lucky. I know the roads where the tour will be going as we ride them regularly. But If I was you why don't you look at booking somewhere else? Such as grassington or somewhere in the dales. You can then ride to the places you want to watch the tour and probably have a better weekend at the same time. There are loads of bed and breakfasts you could book into and then ride to where u need to be, considering the road closures to cars this would probably be the best way of getting about. Headingley will be a good place to book. Loads of b&b's and only 10 mins into Leeds and probably 40 mins to Harrogate by bike. Depending how fast you ride of course.
    Look 595 ultra - F+F for sale.....
    Cervelo r5
    Kinesis T2 2013 winter bike
    Merida Carbon 1500 flx MTB
  • Gazzaputt
    Gazzaputt Posts: 3,227
    edited February 2013
    Luckily my brother lives in York so I'm sorted.

The only trouble I see ahead is getting from Sheffield back to London for day 3. Was thinking of using the train but not sure if that is a good idea.
  • mrushton
    mrushton Posts: 5,182
    Stay somewhere like a Premier Inn at Leeds or Bradford and get the train or ride your bike over
    M.Rushton
  • No_Ta_Doctor
    No_Ta_Doctor Posts: 13,327
    Think I may ring my mates in Hebdon Bridge and Halifax....
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format
  • RideOnTime
    hammerite wrote:
    cougie wrote:

Book and pay for 3 nights, but leave after 2?

This sort of thing happens everywhere for all sorts of different accommodation.

or just stay for one night and really teach them a lesson...
  • RideOnTime
    I don't think it's fair to say that they're all at it in Harrogate. You could have a nice afternoon tea after the stage at Betty's. £32.95 with a glass of champagne thrown in ... bargain.
  • RideOnTime
    I would be cheaper to...
    No, I'm not going to let myself down...this isn't BB after all.
    :roll: :roll: :roll:
    I'll just pay to be f******.
  • Ben6899
    Ben6899 Posts: 9,686
    Got an apartment in Hawes. Sorted.
    Ben

Bikes: Donhou DSS4 Custom | Condor Italia RC | Gios Megalite | Dolan Preffisio | Giant Bowery '76
    Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/ben_h_ppcc/
    Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/143173475@N05/