First time building up an MTB

doublem_1
doublem_1 Posts: 266
edited February 2013 in MTB beginners
In fact any bike! I do own a Road bike but never assembled one before and there are certainly a few areas that confuse me, like the compatibility of drive trains and installing them etc. What I am looking for is a blog or website that contains some useful guides or information on this. I have already sourced a frame, a 2009 Kona Caldera. :D

Can't wait to get started!

Comments

• cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Er yeah. Called Bikeradar.
    Or Read this first.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • I meant for guides and how to's :D
  • oxocube1
    oxocube1 Posts: 651
    Well there is the Park Tools website which is for repair help primarily but i guess could assist you in some ways on building up a bike. In terms of drivetrain just to keep things simple, I would have a complete SRAM or complete Shimano drivetrain. There are cross brand compatible parts but like I said, just keeping things simple.

You will need to know sizings of the frame i.e. seat tube diameter, headtube diameter, what type of brakes the frame can take etc. Once you know those you can start buying/sourcing the relevant components.

Hope that helps!
  • oxocube1 wrote:
    Well there is the Park Tools website which is for repair help primarily but i guess could assist you in some ways on building up a bike. In terms of drivetrain just to keep things simple, I would have a complete SRAM or complete Shimano drivetrain. There are cross brand compatible parts but like I said, just keeping things simple.

You will need to know sizings of the frame i.e. seat tube diameter, headtube diameter, what type of brakes the frame can take etc. Once you know those you can start buying/sourcing the relevant components.

Hope that helps!

Thanks for the help. Much appreciated. Need the frame to arrive first as he wasn't sure if it was a 17 or 18. Then I will go from there!
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Bikepedia will give you the original spec, so work sizes etc from there.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    I got back into cycling by building a bike from scratch (all very very different to the last bike I'd worked on as that had cottered cranks), since then I've built at least another 10, no step is particularily hard.

Easiets to check park tools and/or ask on here with each specific question.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.