New tyres

mrb0nd
mrb0nd Posts: 8
edited February 2013 in MTB buying advice
Hello

I have a Trek 3900 disc 2012. The tyres that came with the bike have now seen better days and I was looking for some advice on what tyres to buy. Any thoughts?

Comments

• bennett_346
    bennett_346 Posts: 5,029
    Forum search.
  • I have already done a forum search and found it a bit overwhelming with the results. I have only been riding a year and I am unsure where to start with new tyres. That is why I asked for peoples thoughts....
  • tarbot18
    tarbot18 Posts: 531
    You wont get 1 answer depends on where you ride your bike and what type of riding ie , xc , downhill etc etc
    I use nobby nics in 2.25 and evo up front and snakeskin out back but then i keep them on all year round and mainly just do trail centres in all weathers , a lot use maxxis tyres , ask your mates and other's on the trails what they ride etc.
    The family that rides together stays together !

Boardman Comp 29er 2013

Whyte T129s 2014 viewtopic.php?f=10017&t=12965414&p=18823801&hilit=whyte+t129s#p18823801

Road Scott speedster s50 2011
  • Thanks. I been riding trails, mainly at Woburn Sands and Dunstable Downs area. Nothing crazy but every ride I get a bit more confident. I also ride to work but its only a couple of miles. I only have 1 riding buddy and hes just as clueless as me lol. I'm going to look into maxxis now, thanks again
  • mrb0nd wrote:
    Thanks. I been riding trails, mainly at Woburn Sands and Dunstable Downs area. Nothing crazy but every ride I get a bit more confident. I also ride to work but its only a couple of miles. I only have 1 riding buddy and hes just as clueless as me lol. I'm going to look into maxxis now, thanks again

Hello Mrb0nd

I'm local and ride the same area as you and regularly with a group.

Maxxis Ignitors are popular. 3 including me ride with Panaracer XC Fir Pro's 2.1 foldable which work in every condition and on the sandy Woburn to the chalky Downs. Bontrager XR4's are a good do it all tyre and good value. The Continental Rubber Queens are supposed to be good, and I had the Conti verticals which were brilliant.

It's worth speaking to other local riders to understand what they use and why? Also speak to the guys at Roy Pinks in Newport Pagnell, Trek at Cotwold shop, and Chaineys at Shenley Church End.

Also - there is a group ride which meet on Thursday nights for a social blast in the countryside, every skill, experience, fitness, and age, is catered for, we never leave anyone behind, and we always have a pub stop :D 7pm at the market cross Leighton buzzard. Also do a Sunday ride at 9am from same spot. Do everything from Woburn to the downs to Ashridge and more. PM me for details on the group rides or if you and your buddy want a weekend blast on the Woburn trails.

Paul
    Family, Friends, Fantastic trails - what else is there

viewtopic.php?f=10017&t=12898838
    viewtopic.php?f=10017&t=12897374
  • I`ve ridden those trails quite happily on a pairing of Schwalbe Nobby Nic and Racing Ralph.

Nobby Nic front,Ralph rear works well. Gives some front end grip, but faster rolling tyre on rear means you don`t scarifice too much speed.

If you aren`t so confident on the slippy stuff,Nobby Nics both ends.

Back end slipping a little bit is a small price to pay for the extra speed if you go for the Ralph on the back.
    2006 Giant XTC
    2010 Giant Defy Advanced
    2016 Boardman Pro 29er
    2016 Pinnacle Lithium 4
    2017 Canondale Supersix Evo
  • Not a big Schwalbe fan but http://www.on-one.co.uk/ half price till beginning of march.
    Family, Friends, Fantastic trails - what else is there

viewtopic.php?f=10017&t=12898838
    viewtopic.php?f=10017&t=12897374
  • Thanks for all your help guys, your a wealth of knowledge. I now have a good idea of what i'm looking for and will make a decision when I get paid next week.

That sounds awesome thanks Paul. I can't pm due to me not having used the forum enough, but its something I would be up for. I'm working away from home at the moment and predict I can join one of your in 3-4 weeks. I will contact you closer to the time.

Again thanks guys