waterbottle bolt problem

eyebee
eyebee Posts: 257
edited February 2013 in Workshop
I wanted to replace a broken water bottle cage on my giant defy 1, unfortunately one of the bolts just keeps turning(I think the lug inside is loose).I handed it over to my lbs but was wondering how difficult a job this is?

Comments

• This is normally a straightforward job - at least on Al or Steel frames - as far I recall though Defy 1 is Al. Not sure if same holds true for carbon though (which as we all know is prone to spontanoeus combust if man handled :D) and Ti (which is too exotic for the likes of me to comment on :shock: )

The problem is nearly always that the rivnut the bolt screws into is loose in the frame. It should be easy for anyone with the right tools to remove the defective one and fit a new rivnut. I recently got this done for the bolt in the pannier racks on my Al Sectuer.
  • mustol
    mustol Posts: 134
    If you're not confident about doing it yourself, I think you were right to hand it over to your LBS - shouldn't cost much. I had same problem but bike was still under warranty so LBS did it for free.
  • mustol wrote:
    If you're not confident about doing it yourself, I think you were right to hand it over to your LBS - shouldn't cost much. I had same problem but bike was still under warranty so LBS did it for free.

Spesh Concept Store did mine for free too - seen as part of their lifetime frame warrenty package I think.