Tyres that measure 25mm not claim to be 25mm

bmxboy10
bmxboy10 Posts: 1,958
edited February 2013 in Road buying advice
Hi again, please bare with me on this as I really do need some decent advice on this.

I have a set of Ksyrium Elites S with Mavic Yksion pro powerlink tyres that are fitted to the wheelset as standard. I was contemplating selling the wheels but want to try new tyres before a loose a shed load of money by selling them on. Also i do like the wheels i just feel for me they are a bit firm.

Anyway the tyres on the wheels are 23mm but actually measure more like 20-21mm meaning that at 110PSI (which i know is not that high a PSI) the ride is hard to say the least. So what i want is a 25mm tyre that actaully measures 25mm thinking this could allow slightly lower tyre pressures and a more stable, comfortable and confident ride. i have had Vittoria Rubino Pro Slicks for a short while and even in 23mm these were considerably wider than the Mavic tyres i have now. Would like to try something decent like GP4000s or an equivilent but dont want to spend £60 and find i still have the same issue where i dont feel the tyres are wide enough. Also i am not sure if the rim width affects tyre width? Feel a bit daft worrying over a few mm on a tyre but i dont understand why the Mavics are coming up short.

Comments

• I have a GP4000s 25mm and while I haven't measured it, it does seem a true 25mm. In terms of tyres I own, it seems almost as big as a Conti GP4Season 28mm, definitely bigger than a 25mm GP4Season. I also have some Michelin Pro Optimums in a 25mm and the GP4000s seems almost as big as them.

The general consensus with Contis is that the ride is a bit wooden though. You'd probably get a better ride from some 25mm Vittorias - Open Corsa or the new Open Paves, or some 25mm Michelin Pro Race 4 SC
  • smidsy
    smidsy Posts: 5,273
    The Mavics (wheels) are renowned for being firm. Their tyres are actually quite decent.

If you look to get different wheels you will probably like to know that generally low spoke count wheels tend to feel harsh compared to say something with 32 spokes.
    Yellow is the new Black.
  • bmxboy10
    smidsy do you think changing the tyres will make a difference to the ride then? if i do change it will be to 32h H PLUS SON Architype on Ultegra Hubs on the basis that 25mm tyre will fill out more. that said my cinelli has really tight tyre clearances on the rear seat stays.
  • smidsy
    smidsy Posts: 5,273
    You may get some improvement going to something like Vittoria Open Corsa Ev CK 320tpi with latex tubes but then you have a less hardy tyre that is more likely to cut/puncture.

They have made a difference on my AC 420 Aero wheels but they are never going to feel like 32h Architypes (or in my case Ambrosio Excellights).
    Yellow is the new Black.
  • Monty Dog
    Monty Dog Posts: 20,614
    Firstly, most Ksyriums rum pretty firm IME, particularly if you're a lighter rider. Rim width does affect tyre withs i.e. a wider rim like an A23/Archetyre will broaden a 23mm tyre to run more like a 25mm. IME Conti run narrow - a 25mm Michelin is as wide as a 28mm Conti. FWIW, a bigger volume tyre will allow you to run lower pressure - a supple 25mm tyres with latex tubes at 90psi will likely make the biggest difference.
    Make mine an Italian, with Campagnolo on the side..
  • Tom Butcher
    Tom Butcher Posts: 3,830
    Agree Contis run narrow - just fitted some 25mm Gatorskins and to the eye they look no wider than 23mm ProRace on my other wheels. Smidsy is dead right about the Vittorias - lovely supple tyre but I made the mistake of leaving my race wheels on for a chaingang one night and a piece of metal put an inch long split in the tyre - now I know some things will do that to any tyre but it's the only time I've had a sidewall cut to the extent I needed a tyre boot to get home.

it's a hard life if you don't weaken.
  • bmxboy10
    Ok thanks guys so are there any other Vittorias or shall i try the Michelins? Thought the Michelins were 24 mm?