Suntour Raidon Fork - Clicking - Voodoo Bantu

dmont
dmont Posts: 74
edited February 2013 in MTB beginners
Hi Guys,

I recently bought a Voodoo Bantu ( 3 weeks ago ), which I'm very happy with. This is my first proper MTB with shocks so my question is pretty noob !

I may or may not have an issue with the front shocks ( 120mm Suntour Raidon ( x3 ) air suspension fork with lockout ). It's making a clicking noise from the right hand fork, the side the lockout is on. The click only happens when the lockout is off, to me it seems to happen when you compress the fork past the point where the lock would stop the shock if turned on...

I know these things need time to " bed in " but I've done over 50 miles on it now and the click is still happening.
Is this click normal ? if so I'll learn to live with it, if not I'll return it for a replacement or a service..

On another note, do disc breaks have a tendency to skim the pads when going over 25 mph due to flex in the bike ?

Many thanks

Dmont
Riding - Voodoo Bantu

Comments

• supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    Can you feel the click, or is it just audible? Often are valves in the fork working.
  • dmont
    supersonic wrote:
    Can you feel the click, or is it just audible? Often are valves in the fork working.

Heck that was a quick reply ;o)

I can't feel anything... Just audible, but quite annoying.
    Riding - Voodoo Bantu
  • supersonic
    My fork makes all sorts of noises, groans, whooshes, gasps! Usually is nothing to be alarmed about.
  • dmont
    supersonic wrote:
    My fork makes all sorts of noises, groans, whooshes, gasps! Usually is nothing to be alarmed about.

Thanks for the info supersonic !

I'll probably live with it. I just wasn't too sure if it was natural or not, like hearing the air etc isn't an issue just hearing this click is a bit strange to me ( but I am a total noob in MTB terms ).... But like you say it could be the valves so nothing to worry about..

Thanks again

Dmont
    Riding - Voodoo Bantu
  • If it's Voodoo, would that be Halfords? If so you will be entitled to a free 6 week check with every new purchase. You can mention it to the mechanic.
    Voodoo Hoodoo
  • I've just had my Bantu replaced and upgraded due to a nightmare of a bike, my fork did click when I first got the bike but I ignored it, don't know if it was related to the click but my forks oil seals failed and I ended up with a free bike upgrade from Halfords.

Did they set the pressure on the fork for you? I would just take it in and ask if the store is local

Also I had exactly the same with the brakes, they will get better once the pads have worn a bit.
  • supersonic
    It is up to you set the pressure - you need a shock pump.
  • Ouija
    Ouija Posts: 1,386
    Funnily enough i've experienced clicking on both Raidons (sent back) and Axons (stuck in a cupboard somewhere) but not on Epicons (got about four at the moment). Which is a bit odd because, if you've ever had them to pieces, then you'd know that all three share pretty much the same components and seals. For me, it was the constant 'ticking' at the initial compression or return of the fork as it bobbed up and down slightly due to your pedalling motion that drove me insane. Initially thought it was the rotors on my disk brakes and then possibly the carbon seatpost or frame until i finally narrowed it down to the forks. It's like Chinese water torture, small but slowly drives you nuts.
  • Uli
    Uli Posts: 190
    Raidon sometimes clicks on compression due to hard, plastic damper used under the negative spring. You can replace it with something softer.