Kit for first 100 miler

cleric101
cleric101 Posts: 188
edited February 2013 in Road buying advice
I'm riding in a charity event in may which will be my first ride of this distance. Ie identified the following items that I will need to survive the day and was hoping that some of you might have some recommendations for me. I know saddle bags aren't cool but I want to avoid wearing a bag on the day!

Waterproof jacket - http://www.wiggle.co.uk/castelli-squadr ... of-jacket/

Saddle bag

Multi tool

Dhb areon pro bibs

Chamois cream? (Furthest I've ridden before is 55 miles on mtb)

Thanks

Comments

• Spare inner tube
    Repair kit to inc tyre levers & repair patches
    pump &/or Co2
    Food/Water

Its pretty much as you would for a normal ride, just need to take into account the extra distance so a rain cape is a good choice.
    Pain hurts much less if its topped off with beating your mates to top of a climb.
  • pkripper
    pkripper Posts: 652
    Normal ride stuff (basically what dan says), a dollop of assos chamois creme, an extra spare tube and some park quick patches, some solid food, and a couple more gels than you think you need.

Also worth it in my opinion - a couple of individual Nuun (or equivalent for when you refill the bottles), and I always chuck in a space blanket for long rides - it's not been used yet, but it's there should I or someone else need it.

Oh, and saddle bags aren't cool? You're dressed in lycra, so saddle bags are the least of your worries.
  • Thanks for this. I've got the other kit, these are just the things that I need to get and was looking for suggestions as to good ones. For example which multi tool?

As for the saddle bag and Lycra comment - didn't think of it like that, good point!
  • vorsprung
    vorsprung Posts: 1,953
    cleric101 wrote:
    Thanks for this. I've got the other kit, these are just the things that I need to get and was looking for suggestions as to good ones. For example which multi tool?

As for the saddle bag and Lycra comment - didn't think of it like that, good point!

The multitool has to be able to deal with all ( or as many as possible) of the bolts and hex sockets on your bike

Many of them are 5mm, but there are some weirdies for example I believe my pedal tension is 2.5mm

If you know how to true a wheel then a spoke key of some sort is good to have. Some multitools also contain at least one tyre lever. A chain tool is good to have and a sharp knife.

The Toppeak Alien RX16 works for me

I tend to carry a lot of tools, probably too many and I have a very large saddle bag.
  • pkripper
    pkripper Posts: 652
    I have a PRO saddlebag which is small, but still fits a tube, gas, levers and multitool in. It's all about the packing.

The multi-tool is PRO too. Very good bit of kit, but was about 40. Topeak also make good ones.
  • Take energy bars (or small high energy food), take enough to eat one every hour.
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    You'll find out what you need as you build up the miles - you are training for this - yes ?

As to kit - well who knows what it will be like in May.

I'd start off with thermal base layer - then short sleeve top and armwarmers.
    YOur bibs and knee or leg warmers.

You have a rain jacket for worse conditions.

Rest of it is just the normal kit. Tubes, levers, tools, pump. Whatever food you need. You only need a small saddle bag to take what you need. The rest will fit in your back pockets.

Oh phone - in a plastic bag - and cash.
  • Thanks. I am training yes although the weather is not helping at the moment!

Does anyone know if the castelli waterproof would fit in a saddlebag if stuffed in? If not, any advice on a better jacket?

I haven't bought any of the items mentioned yet.
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    I'd put that jacket in a back pocket. Easier to get to if you need it.
  • chuckla
    chuckla Posts: 132
    Are ou doing the carten100? I'm signed up for that, they give loads of advice on their website on what you should pack, eat and where to stop etc!

New bike coming Friday, training starts Sunday! Can't wait!
  • Sir Velo
    Sir Velo Posts: 143
    Most organised/sportives will have food/drink stops so check the details, you then only really need to carry food and drink for (say) 50km.

Yes pack (and be ok at using) a one/two tubes and mini tool. Again organised rides usually have a mechanical back up if anything more serious.

Kit wise will depend on weather from full on cold/wet forecast to gilet/rain jacket if forecast is for showers; stuffed in back pocket.

A well maintained bike will not be a problem for 100 miles, couple of food stops and either the rain kit or dry kit and away you go. That sorted just make sure you have a few miles in your legs.

SV
  • p1tse
    p1tse Posts: 694
    cougie wrote:
    You'll find out what you need as you build up the miles - you are training for this - yes ?

As to kit - well who knows what it will be like in May.

I'd start off with thermal base layer - then short sleeve top and armwarmers.
    YOur bibs and knee or leg warmers.

You have a rain jacket for worse conditions.

Rest of it is just the normal kit. Tubes, levers, tools, pump. Whatever food you need. You only need a small saddle bag to take what you need. The rest will fit in your back pockets.

Oh phone - in a plastic bag - and cash.

Thermal base layers, do these maintain a controlled core temp ie are they any good in warmer conditions/ days we have?
    Wanted: Cube Streamer/Agree GTC Compact / Pro/ Race : 53cm
  • It is the carten 100. I've gone through the website and printed their guides. Was just looking for specific items/brands etc that people could recommend. My furthest ride on the road bike so far has only been 30 miles but I have done 55 a few times on my mtb. Currently going out 3 times a week to get the miles in.