Advice on buying a new (low cost) Hardtail MTB

d448
d448 Posts: 3
edited February 2013 in MTB buying advice
If somone wouldn't mind having a quick look at the bikes I have in mind and giving me their opinion on which one would be best, that would be great.

I'm after a new MTB, front suspension only. Most of the time I will be riding on the road, which I have a Boardman bike for, but I'm after a MTB to use just now and then for riding the likes of forest paths and bridleways etc. It's not going to get used very often and not needed for hard use, so I was looking in the region of around £250-£350 in price.

The list below are some bikes that I've seen at Halfords in this price range. They are only from Halfords due to them having discounts on them at the moment and the fact that I can get an extra 10% off Halfords bikes as I'm registered with British Cycling. However, if there are bikes elsewhere that fit the bill, that's fine.

Carrera Vengeance 2011/2012 - £299.99 (shows £449.99 on website, but my local store has it for £299.99)

Carrera Centos Limited Edition 2012 - £299.99 (Down from £599.99)

VooDoo Bantu Mountain Bike 2011/2012 - £359.99 (Noticed this one in the sticky post above)

Thanks in advance :)

Comments

• RandG
    RandG Posts: 779
    If you can stretch to the voodoo hoodoo at £450 that is better than all those.
  • RandG wrote:
    If you can stretch to the voodoo hoodoo at £450 that is better than all those.

nothing wrong with the Bantu either, scores very well in tests.

OP the Bantu is a better spec than the 2 carreras you have linked to. Better fork and hydraulic brakes too so would be my choice.
  • hainman
    hainman Posts: 699
    You could have a nosey in Decathlon at the Rockrider 8.1 you might get last years model cheap...
    Giant Reign 2
    Crohnie
  • carrera vulcan. or get a cube bike frame from bike discount. will cost around 120 euros, then build it up, getting parts as and when you feel like it. for a 120 euros, you'll have plenty left over to pick up some good quality parts. do some research and searching on the net, thers bargains to be had. a guy earlier said he got an easton ea30 stem for 8 quid brand new. something to consider?
  • d448
    d448 Posts: 3
    Thanks for all the suggestions and info. I'm edging towards the Bantu at the moment then, sounds like it would be a good bike for the price and what I need it for. I'll certainly check out the other suggestions made though. That's a great help. Thanks all :)
  • I would probably look for a second hand bike for that money.

There are lots of hardly used examples of bikes retailing at £800-£1000 selling for £300-£400.

Much better value!
  • My bantu is a beauty, i've thrown it down some trails graded severe and extreme and its still going strong. Very sturdy indeed!
  • ilovedirt
    ilovedirt Posts: 5,798
    I'd go for the Bantu as well.
    Production Privee Shan

B'Twin Triban 5