After a few cheap bikes

Yew
Yew Posts: 4
edited February 2013 in MTB buying advice
Hey all!

First post here so be nice :D

Over xmas, unfortunately our shed at home was broken into, and three bokes stolen, an old raleigh, my Saracen N-Zyme, and something from halfords. Fortunately the Insurance have decided to pay out, so I've been told to choose a bike off of this (http://www.bikereplacement.co.uk/) website. I have to choose three 'mountain' bikes at £330, £250, and £230. Realistically the two cheaper ones are just going to be some general purpose leisure bikes for my parents. however I would like something that, if I choose to get into Mountain Biking (hey, I'm into whitewater kayaking) could possibly be a good base point. If I want to go over the prices given, I have to pay 75% of the excess. However I dont see myself doing that much. Looking at their inventory, the GT Agressor 20, at £339 looks alright, and so does the Saracen Tufftrax with disk brakes. but looking at reviews, the general opinion of poeple who know things about bikes is that they arent great..

Any suggestions on what to get for my bike(Theres a diamondback Peak for 360 maybe?), and some nice GP ones for the 'rents?

Thanks, Yew

Comments

• cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Rubbish rip off shop. I'd take as much cash as I could and go back to Halfords or Decathlon.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • Yew
    edited February 2013
    Double post - sorry
  • Yew
    Yew wrote:
    cooldad wrote:
    Rubbish rip off shop. I'd take as much cash as I could and go back to Halfords or Decathlon.

That's the problem, they aren't letting us have cash. They had preselected some models from their store (at these 'prices' ,mainly Claude butler bikes) and said we could swap for one of a similar 'value' if we wished. I know this shop is a rip off, I used google :D Any suggestion on which of the inventory you would suggest, From what I understand, anything in that price range without the Suntour 63mm forks will probably be the best..
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    Try and get anything with 24 speed drivetrains. None of the forks will be much cop at this price I am afraid.
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    First of all I would check your policy and the basis of settlement.
    Secondly I would argue the point that they can insist on using a particular supplier - they get a fat discount - looks like about 25% from your post. On that basis they should be willing to make a cash settlement of around £600.
    With that you'd get a very decent bike from Decathlon or Halfords plus a couple of cheapies for your parents.
    If they don't cooperate, I suggest the Ombudsman - you would have a good argument that the replacements offered are not even comparable to cheaper options elsewhere. Often the suggestion of the Ombudsman will make them rethink their position.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • I was offered a cash settlement at the value my bike was insured for or an inflated sum (25% more) to spend on the website. I wouldn't say it's a rip off site, just that the bikes are at RRP. Obviously you can do better elsewhere if buying with cash though.

I'm sure you should be able to get a cash settlement if you push for it. It may not be the same as the RRP of the bikes you've been offered though.