Riding in a straight line

DavidBut
DavidBut Posts: 13
edited February 2013 in MTB beginners
Hi,

I've had a Spec Camber Comp Carbon 29er for a few months now, and love it, apart from one problem, I seem to be incapable of riding it in a straight line when going slowly eg climbing, on mud or snow, usually off road.

The bike seems to have a mind of its own and will weave about, maybe I over correct. I've tried moving my seat forward a bit, getting my weight over the front wheel, leaning to the side I want to go, but nothing really helps.

I've been riding bikes for years, mainly a Roubaix on the road, and never had a problem with that, but then I didn't ride it in mud or snow!

And ideas?

David

Comments

• cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Straight lines are boring. Bends are where it's at.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • cooldad
    But unless your wheels or something are skew?.....
    Have you tried just relaxing and letting it find it's own route.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • Northwind
    Northwind Posts: 14,675
    Might be worth checking the headset is right, either loose or tight can turn a bike pissed.

Riding in a straight line in snow is a sod, you've got a pretty unpredictable, resisting surface and lots of sliding. You can try riding more baggy and relaxed- sticking out the knees and elbows gives you a bit more autocorrect, I tend to drop the seat just a little bit, 10mm or so, to help with that. Rolling wrists down can help too. But it's not easy.
    Uncompromising extremist
  • camerauk
    camerauk Posts: 1,000
    I found this a little bit on my Camber 26" when climbing very slowly
    I have now fitted a shorter stem with wider bars and it has really transformed the bike for me and I find it much more stable and controllable
    Specialized Camber Expert
    Specialized Allez Sport
  • miss notax
    miss notax Posts: 2,572
    Don't forget also that riding in a straight line is one of those 'simple' things until you remember that you are meant to be riding in a straight line...

Which is why myself (and lots of others too i'm sure) can ride in a straight line 90% of the time until I try to ride along a skinny / wall etc at which point I will panic about riding in a straight line and fall off :?
    Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the number of moments that take your breath away....

Riding a gorgeous ano orange Turner Burner!

Sponsor the CC2CC at http://www.justgiving.com/cc2cc
  • cooldad
    This is very true^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • miss notax
    miss notax Posts: 2,572
    I am very wise 8)
    Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the number of moments that take your breath away....

Riding a gorgeous ano orange Turner Burner!

Sponsor the CC2CC at http://www.justgiving.com/cc2cc
  • Thanks for your responses. Relaxing and letting the bike go where it wants is what I do sometimes, but as I live and ride in the Lake District that is not always an option, as one side might be a steep drop!

I'm going to borrow an old 26in stumpjumper and try that on the same climb, see if it's me or the bike.
  • cooldad
    Don't look do
    w
    n
    A
    a
    a
    a
    a
    a
    a
    r
    r
    g
    h
    h
    h
    h
    h
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • When I got back on a bike after a long, alchahol fuelled lay-off, it seemed that the expression "never forget how to ride a bike" was completely true. That is until I tried to look behind me and nearly fell off - I just could not do it. Also struggle with riding "no handed@, something I did for miles when a kid.
    Family, Friends, Fantastic trails - what else is there

viewtopic.php?f=10017&t=12898838
    viewtopic.php?f=10017&t=12897374
  • 97th choice
    97th choice Posts: 2,222
    The more I try to be careful, the more likely I am to fall off. Concentrating too hard on one thing stops your body doing the 27 other things it does automatically to stop you ending up in a heap on the ground.
    Too-ra-loo-ra, too-ra-loo-rye, aye

Giant Trance
    Radon ZR 27.5 Race
    Btwin Alur700
    Merida CX500