VooDoo Hoodoo vs Saracen Mantra Pro vs Boardman Comp HT

rootsrat
rootsrat Posts: 12
edited February 2013 in MTB buying advice
Hello

I am planning to buy a new bike via "Cycle to work" scheme and I'm considering these two bikes: VooDoo Hoodoo 2011/12 vs Saracen Mantra Pro 2013 vs CBoardman Comp HT 2012/2013. All 3 received really good reviews and I have bit of a dillema of which one to go for. I'd appreciate any constructive suggestions or thoughts!

(Apologies, I edited the post a bit) now, there are 3 bikes to compare...

The specs are as follows:

The HooDoo:
Approximate Weight (KG): 14.1kg
Brake Type: Hydraulic Disc
Chainset: Shimano FC-M430
Fork Lock-out : Yes
Fork travel: 120mm
Forks: 120mm Suntour Raidon X1 air suspension fork with remote lockout
Frame Colour: Satin Red
Frame Material: Alloy
Frame Size: 15-16
Frame-: Lightweight 7005 aluminium
Front Brake: Tektro Gemini Hydraulic disc 180mm rotor
Front Mech: Shimano Alivio FD-M430
Gear Shifters: Shimano Alivio SL-M430 27spd
Handle Bars: Riser 31.8mm
Headset: 1 1/8 Aheadset
Hubs: Formula 32 hole Q/R disc hub
Number of Gears: 27
Rear Brake: Tektro Gemini Hydraulic disc 180mm rotor
Rear Mech: Shimano Alivio RD-M430
Rims: Double wall black 32 hole disc rim
Saddle: VL-3165
Seatpost: 350mm Alloy 27.2
Suspension: Front
Tyre size: 2.25"
Tyres: Maxxis Ardent 26 x 2.25
Wheel Size: 26"
Exact Frame Size: 16"

And the Mantra:
Frame:Mantra lightweight custom butted 6061 alloy tubeset with 44mm standard integrated headtube
Fork: Suntour XCR LO - 120 mm travel with lock-out
Front Derailleur: Shimano Acera M390
Rear Derailleur: Shimano Acera M430
Shifters: Shimano Altus M390 Rapid Fire 9x3 speed
Chainset: Shimano FCM391 Octalink 22/32/42T 170-175mm
Chainrings: 22x32x42 tooth
Bottom Bracket: Shimano BB-ES25 Octalink
Cassette: Shimano HG20 9-speed 11-34 tooth
Chain: KMC Z99
Pedals: Alloy MTB
Front and Rear Brake: Shimano M395 160/160mm rotors
Brake Levers: Shimano M395
Handlebars: Saracen 318 Alloy OS 720 mm wide with 15 mm rise and 6 degree bend
Stem: Saracen 318 6061 60-90 mm A-Head with 7 degree rise and 31.8 mm clamp
Headset: TH No.11N A-Headset
Grips: Saracen dual-density grip
Rims: Rigida Taurus 2000 Black 32 hole
Front Hub: Formula DC19 Alloy Black 32 hole quick release
Rear Hub: Formula DC22 Alloy Black 32 hole quick release
Spokes: Steel 14g
Front and Rear Tyre: Schwalbe Smart Sam Performance 26 x 2.1 inch
Saddle: WTB Volt Comp
Seatpost: Alloy Micro-adjust, 30.9mm

The Comp HT:
Approximate Weight (KG): 12.56
Brake Type: Hydraulic Disc
Chainset: FSA Alpha Drive 44/32/22T
Forks: 120mm Suntour Epicon air suspension fork with adjustable rebound damping and lockout
Frame Colour: White
Frame Material: Alloy
Frame-: Lightweight 7005 triple butted aluminium frame
Front Brake: Avid Elixir 1 hydraulic disc brakes 160mm rotor
Front Mech: SRAM X5
Gear Shifters: SRAM X5
Handle Bars: Boardman 31.8mm alloy low-rise
Headset: FSA 1 1/8 Aheadset
Hubs: Formula 32 hole Q/R disc hub
Number of Gears: 27
Pedals: Wellgo alloy body
Rear Brake: Avid Elixir 1 hydraulic disc brakes 160mm rotor
Rear Mech: SRAM X5
Rims: Double wall black 32 hole disc rim with CNC braking surface
Saddle: Boardman black with cro-moly rails
Seatpost: Boardman 400mm x 31.6mm black alloy
Stem: Boardman black alloy 90mm x 31.8mm
Suspension: Front
Tyre size: 2.20"
Tyres: Schwalbe Rapid Rob 26"x2.25
Wheel Size: 26"
Fork Lock-out : Yes
Frame Size: 17-18
Cassette: 11-32T

Comments

• The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Links to specs works better...

What scheme does your employer use, it's rare to be able to get Halfords and non Halfords.

What usage will you be putting it to?

The forks on the Hoodoo and Boardman are much better than the XCR on the Mantra, so rule that one out.

The Boardman is better specced than the Hoodoo (and is more expensive...) so I'd go with that unless you want a slightly more hardcore ride wghich the Hoodoo offers versus teh Boardman.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • Thanks for your reply.

Fair point about the links... I hoped for
    tag, but not-active on this forums :)

Anyway - my employer used to use Halfords, however our benefits provider changed this year and the helptext on out benefits selection website only mentions checking available stores on cycle to work website... I already asked the question and I'm currently awaiting the reply.

Anyway, I plan to do some trail and XC rides + commuting to work. The more I read around, the more convinced I am to get the Hoodoo. It's significantly cheaper (450 vs 650 on Boardman!) and I think that extra 200 is not really worth spending on boardman.

My riding style is quite aggressive I would say, so it probably fits Hoodoo better too.
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    Boardman without a doubt. If you can afford it, then you'll notice the difference over the Hoodoo.
  • I possibly could afford it, if I push it, but it's quite a difference for me (my income is the only source of income for our household at the moment). That is why I'd like some good arguments for it - if it's really worth it, I will go for it, but if it's just because "Boardman is better", then I'd probably go for HooDoo.

So, what makes Comp HT better then? I'd really appreciate some advice...
  • supersonic
    Weighs 3lbs less, frame is much lighter and more forgiving (triple butted frame tubes) fork is smoother, better made and also lighter. Not much in the gearing, but also has superior brakes and high quality finishing.

Both are good for their prices, but be in no doubt the Boardman is a better bike.
  • Awesome, thanks for the reply.

However... I've just found out that my company scrapped Halfords and moved to Cyclescheme, that has ALL the shops BUT Halfords.

Guess I'm back on internet reading reviews... Unless anyone can recommend any other hardtail in the price range of 500-650 that would be worth considering as a good Trail/XC bike?
  • supersonic
    Decathlon Rockrider 8.1.
  • Unfortunately none of the shops I can use supply Decathlon brand. Would you be so kind and have a look at this list please? Is there anything you can recommend?

Many thanks
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    rootsrat wrote:
    Unfortunately none of the shops I can use supply Decathlon brand. Would you be so kind and have a look at this list please? Is there anything you can recommend?

Many thanks
    The whole Evans website? You must be joking.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • supersonic
    There is one that stands out (head and shoulders!):

http://www.evanscycles.com/products/pin ... e-ec035898

That is a cracking bike for the money, on paper ahead of the Boardman. SLX shifters are rare at this price, the fork is excellent, good wheels too.
  • rootsrat
    rootsrat Posts: 12
    edited February 2013
    cooldad wrote:
    rootsrat wrote:
    Unfortunately none of the shops I can use supply Decathlon brand. Would you be so kind and have a look at this list please? Is there anything you can recommend?

Many thanks
    The whole Evans website? You must be joking.

I didn't really mean the WHOLE list! 1 or 2 pages surely must host a noteworthy bike ;)
    supersonic wrote:
    There is one that stands out (head and shoulders!):

http://www.evanscycles.com/products/pin ... e-ec035898

That is a cracking bike for the money, on paper ahead of the Boardman. SLX shifters are rare at this price, the fork is excellent, good wheels too.

Yeah, that was the one I looked at too. There are also few BMC ones that sell at £549 - bit older models, but massive savings. I'll look into it, time to read some reviews I think!

Thanks for all your help all, it's much appreciated.

::EDIT::

In fact, if I could pester you some more... How about BMC TE04 vs Pinnacle Jarrah 5?
  • get the Pinnacle!
  • supersonic
    Pinnacle is the better bike.
  • That was my choice too. Glad more than one person confirmed :)

Ok, case closed I guess!

Again, thanks very much for all your input, suggestions and help, it's much appreciated - and the trails will get one happy rider this year!
  • LJ.
    LJ. Posts: 149
    The fork is solo air too, according to the Q&A, thats a bargain
  • Ok, so I've called Evans Cycles and they said the Pinnacle may still be available, but not necessarily.

I was also thinking of expanding my budget to £850 - any suggestions towards this price?
  • supersonic wrote:
    Decathlon Rockrider 8.1.
    hey all, sorry to hijack this topoc, but since those bikes been mentioned here...
    supersonic, in which order would you put those bikes, first are the better ones: Boardman Comp HT, Rockrider 8.1, that one Pinnacle Jarrah 5, and Radon ZR Team 7.0 http://www.radon-bikes.de/xist4c/web/ZR-Team-7-0_id_22249_.htm#ausstattung ? Thanks :)
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Vladislav wrote:
    supersonic wrote:
    Decathlon Rockrider 8.1.
    hey all, sorry to hijack this topoc, but since those bikes been mentioned here...
    supersonic, in which order would you put those bikes, first are the better ones: Boardman Comp HT, Rockrider 8.1, that one Pinnacle Jarrah 5, and Radon ZR Team 7.0 http://www.radon-bikes.de/xist4c/web/ZR-Team-7-0_id_22249_.htm#ausstattung ? Thanks :)
    So why not just start your own, instead of confusing the issue?
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • chez_m356
    chez_m356 Posts: 1,893
    rootsrat wrote:
    Ok, so I've called Evans Cycles and they said the Pinnacle may still be available, but not necessarily.

I was also thinking of expanding my budget to £850 - any suggestions towards this price?
    here's one with a few quid left over http://www.paulscycles.co.uk/products.p ... 1b0s2p4210 :wink:
    Specialized Hardrock Sport Disc 10- CANYON Nerve AM 6 2011
  • cooldad wrote:
    Vladislav wrote:
    supersonic wrote:
    Decathlon Rockrider 8.1.
    So why not just start your own, instead of confusing the issue?

i imagine there been so many threads with more or less the same question, why start another one?
  • supersonic
    The Radon is is the best by far.
  • supersonic wrote:
    The Radon is is the best by far.
    wow im surprised! the price of radon only 799 euro, which is about the same price as boardman comp at halfords! But radon got only 100 mm fork travel compared to boradmans 120 mm? can you describe please a bit more why radon is better by far?
    I can see that Radon is about half a kilo lighter!
    Thanks for your help
  • supersonic
    The Reba RL is one of the best forks out there. Full compliment of mid/high end Shimano, light weight - is a great deal!
  • supersonic wrote:
    The Reba RL is one of the best forks out there. Full compliment of mid/high end Shimano, light weight - is a great deal!
    thank you very much :) this bike is at the top of my list now :) shame i cant try it out before ordering