Diff between medium cage & long cage on rear derailleur?

russboy
russboy Posts: 436
edited February 2013 in MTB buying advice
Hi all,

Finally about to replace my rear derailleur after around 3500 miles on my bike (spec here: viewtopic.php?f=20005&t=12658217&p=15697885#p15697885 , although new frame replaced under warranty).

Was going to replace like for like with a Shimano Shadow SLX but there are options of long cage or short cage?

See here: http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Mode ... elID=28033

Of course I may go for something completely different & improve the set up, bearing in mind I’ve replaced the crank & rear cassette to the largest sizes available for an MTB so I get a higher top end speed.

So what’s the difference? Or should I buy something completely different instead?

Cheers,

Russ

Comments

• The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    The medium/long refers to the distance bewteen the jockey wheels and their capacity for accomodating chain length change between gears (big/big to small/small), the capacity is all in the Shimano (or SRAM) tech docs but as a ROUGH rule of thumb (ONLY) small cage for 1x, medium for 2x and long for a triple front ring.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • russboy
    russboy Posts: 436
    Cheers all,

Consider me educated! :)

Now just need to find a suitable replacement
  • LJ.
    LJ. Posts: 149
    The way that diagram reads to me is on the SRAM part is that if you have a 36t cassette then you should be using a long cage regardless??
  • RevellRider
    RevellRider Posts: 1,794
    It reads to me that if you have a short cage rear mech, you can only run it with a single ring