Week & weekend riding

A KIRK
A KIRK Posts: 64
edited February 2013 in Road general
For those who ride both during the week and at weekends, do you notice a difference in the attitudes of other riders.

For me where I am I've noticed a huge difference both with the road bike and the Mtb, as a general rule those riding at weekends are less likely to acknowledge you when you say hi or morning etc, where as during the week almost all the riders I see acknowledge you.

Strangly I'd have thought it would be the other way round.

Is it just me that has noticed this?
2010 GT Series 4 ultegra wheels & brakes
2008 Claud Butler hard tail not very original any more

Comments

  • slowmart
    slowmart Posts: 4,480
    I commute and ride for leisure in the week with longer rides at the weekend and I can't say I've noticed a difference.

    I'll always wish someone a hearty good morning, most reply and some others go on their way without so much as a smile.

    Each to their own!
    “Give a man a fish and feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish and feed him for a lifetime. Teach a man to cycle and he will realize fishing is stupid and boring”

    Desmond Tutu
  • No different for me either weekday or weekend. Say hello, nod my head and wave of the hand most do the same but a few don't.
    Pain hurts much less if its topped off with beating your mates to top of a climb.
  • I don't see any difference with other riders but I think vehicle drivers are different at the weekends. Weekend warriors I call them, driving most of the week to and from work with no distractions apart from how quickly they can get to their destination. Then the same drivers distracted by the wife, kids, in laws, what time B&Q shuts, cn they get back before the football ground kicks out or getting to the pub for Sunday lunch before everyone else because they don't take bookings.
  • A KIRK
    A KIRK Posts: 64
    Must just be me then, or maybe because where I am it's mainly recreational riding instead of commuting.
    2010 GT Series 4 ultegra wheels & brakes
    2008 Claud Butler hard tail not very original any more
  • ShutUpLegs
    ShutUpLegs Posts: 3,522
    I guess its been 3 days since the last 'why don't people wave' threads tbf fayre
  • smidsy
    smidsy Posts: 5,273
    A KIRK wrote:
    Must just be me then, or maybe because where I am it's mainly recreational riding instead of commuting.

    Depends on your definitions.

    Recreational - proper cyclists who are out training and recognise and respect the efforts of others. 8)

    Commuting - tree hugging, save the world types, or those who are too tight to buy a proper mode of transport. :lol:

    And before I get another public strip torn off - IT'S A JOKE!
    Yellow is the new Black.
  • Pituophis
    Pituophis Posts: 1,025
    All my rides during the week tend to be after 7pm, so dark, raining and or freezing at the moment!
    I very rarely see another rider to gauge the difference :roll: :D
  • ShutUpLegs wrote:
    I guess its been 3 days since the last 'why don't people wave' threads tbf fayre

    Beat me to it :twisted:
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    smidsy wrote:
    Commuting - tree hugging, save the world types, or those who are too tight to buy a proper mode of transport. :lol:

    B********d :lol:
    Faster than a tent.......
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    Pituophis wrote:
    All my rides during the week tend to be after 7pm, so dark, raining and or freezing at the moment!
    I very rarely see another rider to gauge the difference :roll: :D

    ^ This. The only other road users I'm encountering during my evening rides seem to have antlers and very little consideration for cyclists.
  • keef66 wrote:
    Pituophis wrote:
    All my rides during the week tend to be after 7pm, so dark, raining and or freezing at the moment!
    I very rarely see another rider to gauge the difference :roll: :D

    ^ This. The only other road users I'm encountering during my evening rides seem to have antlers and very little consideration for cyclists.

    Or we're dazzling each other with 20 zillion lumens head torches :lol:
  • Two out of three weeks I work lates so I have the luck to be able to get out in the morning and the cyclists I see around the Peaks tend to be much nicer than the ones I see at the weekends.

    I don't know why this is.

    I do prefer going on a big Saturday ride though, mainly because it feels much more sociable with lots of other riders around. On my Castleton run it's rare I go more than a few miles without seeing another rider sometimes, when if I do it during the week I'm lucky to see one.
    Hills are like half life - they wait until you're 50% recovered from one before hitting you in the face with the next.

    http://www.pedalmash.co.uk/