Which of these three Giant bikes?

BABASAN
BABASAN Posts: 28
edited February 2013 in MTB buying advice
hi all i am looking at pauls cycles for a full sus bike and like the giant range and have found three bikes that i like the look of they are the,

anthem x4 http://www.paulscycles.co.uk/products.p ... 1b4s1p4430

anthem x3 http://www.paulscycles.co.uk/products.p ... 1b4s1p4431

trnace x4 http://www.paulscycles.co.uk/products.p ... 1b4s1p4425

this will be used for hittting the trails and generally getting caked in fun lol, does anyone know what are the main differences between anthem and trance and would i be right in saying that the x3 offers the biggest bang for your buck.

many thnaks in advance

Comments

• rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    Never ridden a Anthem but owned a Trance for a couple years.
    The Trance is an excellent bike but I wouldn't buy the X4 version, it comes with a bit of a ropey fork & shock. The Trance X3 (or higher) is great as an allround trail bike. It will take a surprising amount of abuse. The frame is bombproof, it handles extremely well once you change the standard narrow bars and long stem for a more sensible set up. Giant's meastro rear suspension is the best I have ridden for xc / trail riding.
  • Anthem is 100mm travel and therefore more XC oriented than the Trance which is 120mm travel. Both are supposedly very good bikes.

Just be aware that Giant have changed their specs for 2013 (for the Trance range at least).

Broadly speaking, I think the 2013 Trance X3 seems to be the equivalent of the previous years Trance X4. I think this is the base model with coil fork etc - but it did get very good reviews.

so, 2011 or 2012 X4 = 2013 X3 &
    2011 or 2012 X3 = 2013 X2

In general terms in any year X2 > X3 > X4.

If you can find a discounted 2012 Trance X3, then that would be a great choice.

Hope that helps!
  • Anthem X3 wins on spec.
    Anthem or Trance? It really depends on how you ride and your preference .
    If you want to go fast, ride mainly single track, and enjoy the ups as well as the downs get the Anthem. If you prefer the downs get the Trance .
    Both good bikes, but keep an eye on the shock bush and all those bearings.
    2006 Giant XTC
    2010 Giant Defy Advanced
    2016 Boardman Pro 29er
    2016 Pinnacle Lithium 4
    2017 Canondale Supersix Evo
  • I also am looking at the giant range and not sure if worth getting a trance x2 or go cheap and get a x3?
    Always seems to be a fork and rear shock upgrade throughout the range.
    No expert but just what I have found out from looking at the range
    Test ride would be helpful To both of us I think :)
    Need to find out how to do so?
  • Anthem has a steeper head angle so is more "responsive" to steering input "twitchy" is another term depending on your point of view or preference.

Other than that, what has been said above.
    2011 Giant Trance Ltd, 2016 Revs, XT bits etc.
  • rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    ellis2012 wrote:
    I also am looking at the giant range and not sure if worth getting a trance x2 or go cheap and get a x3?
    Always seems to be a fork and rear shock upgrade throughout the range.
    No expert but just what I have found out from looking at the range
    Test ride would be helpful To both of us I think :)
    Need to find out how to do so?

If it's 2013 bikes go for the X2. If it's older then the X3 is pretty much the same as this years X2. Great bike, bombproof frame