Stans arches or flows?

baldymatt
baldymatt Posts: 18
edited February 2013 in MTB buying advice
Hello there.

I'm going to order a custom wheel set from superstar and I can't make my mind up over what rims to get. I'm torn between stans arches or flows on tesla hubs. The wheel set will be going on a transition bandit and will mainly be used for trail centres (Llandegla, gisburn, Grizedale and a few others). I'm not the smoothest rider in the world :? I'm 5'9 and 11 stone.

What I really want to know I suppose is will the flows be overkill or will the arches do the job? Help!!

Thanks in advance,

Matt.

Comments

• marz
    marz Posts: 130
    I have 5 stone on you and I haven't managed to kill my Stan's Flows in the year I've had them. Great rims. I have a few friends about your size on Arches and likewise they haven't had a problem. Arches should do you fine.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Duplicate thread, please use the most used one!
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    Mavic XM719 are the future.
  • lawman
    lawman Posts: 6,868
    Mavic XM719 are the future.

Narrow, heavy for the width, not tubeless ready as standard... Cheaper than Stan's and Pacenti for a reason.
  • rockmonkeysc
    But they are lighter than flows and stronger. Tubeless is just a pain in the arse.
  • lawman
    lawman Posts: 6,868
    My crests have been tougher than my old 717's, which had a fair few flat spots, where as both sets of Stan's are still pretty much perfect barring cosmetic scratches. A mate destroyed a 719 in OTB on the werewolf drop at Cannock, which is hardly the biggest huck in the world. Personally I see no reason to go for anything other than Stan's tbh, I've had literally zero issues and while yes Flows might not be strong enough for pure DH but for trail/AM/enduro whatever you want to call it, they're perfectly good.
  • rockmonkeysc
    I have done a few DH races using mt XM719's since my Generator wheels have gone square with no problems. They are fine with a 2.5" Minion and even with my 16 stone on board they seem to handle gnarly DH tracks fine.
  • marz
    marz Posts: 130
    But they are lighter than flows and stronger. Tubeless is just a pain in the ars*.

Definitely not stronger than flows, I've given on Mavic's for staying true. And real tubeless (not ghetto) rims and tyres are the way to go.
  • bennett_346
    bennett_346 Posts: 5,029
    lawman wrote:
    A mate destroyed a 719 in OTB on the werewolf drop at Cannock, which is hardly the biggest huck in the world.
    Surely caused by a poor build or some loose spokes? No wheel should do that on that "drop"!
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,662
    I ve got even more that 5st on you and my Arch's have been fine. For your weight and riding I'd even suggest you'd be fine on Crests, so you ll definitely be reet on Arch's...

I got mine from SS too, Enjoy!
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • Hmm, I'm 98kg and ride an XL Bandit. Mine is on Mavic EN521 (tubeless) and they have been superb.
    Trail fun - Transition Bandit
    Road - Wilier Izoard Centaur/Cube Agree C62 Disc
    Allround - Cotic Solaris
  • rockmonkeysc
    lawman wrote:
    A mate destroyed a 719 in OTB on the werewolf drop at Cannock, which is hardly the biggest huck in the world.
    Surely caused by a poor build or some loose spokes? No wheel should do that on that "drop"!

I have ridden a 8' drop on my hardtail XM719's with no problems. I have seen another lad ride the same drop on a Carbon whippet with XC717 rims with no problems.
    To destroy any rim on a small trail centre drop takes some seriously bad riding.
  • tarbot18
    tarbot18 Posts: 531
    just been told my back wheel is screwed and been looking at the superstar deals for a while, i liked the look of this http://superstar.tibolts.co.uk/product_ ... id=496deal

what sort of weight are the crest s ok for ?
    im 14st and ride coed y brenin llandegla marin etc or would i be better with the flows , i was trying to reduce my bike weight at the same time.
    The family that rides together stays together !

Boardman Comp 29er 2013

Whyte T129s 2014 viewtopic.php?f=10017&t=12965414&p=18823801&hilit=whyte+t129s#p18823801

Road Scott speedster s50 2011
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,662
    Arches would be better, Flows probably overkill, Crests maybe a tad delicate, but with a good build will probably fine unless you really smash them! People use Flows for DH and stuff remember!
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • I also have a Transition Bandit which I use mainly for trail centre riding. I weigh just over 12 stone in riding gear and have superstar /stans crest wheels fitted.

Wheels have ben great and are far stronger than they are given credit for. I'd advise crest rims based on my expirience but if you want piece of mind go for the arch. Flows would be overkill in my opinion.