Rockrider 8.1 v Rockrider 8XC

teeoffchris
teeoffchris Posts: 42
edited February 2013 in MTB buying advice
So after taking some good advice from here I took myself off to decathlon today to have a little play with the Rockrider 8.1 While this has a good spec I have to say it did just look a litlle plain with its matt finish plus just next to it was the Rockrider 8XC which is on special for £749 and IMO looks so much more attractive so I wondered if anyone could comment and what would be better and is it worth another £200 ?

Any advice would be much appreciated

Spec are as follows:-

Rockrider 8XC

Frame New high modulus carbon frame, 1.150 kg in size M. This carbon frame includes rear compact triangle transfers pedalling power very well, reduces ground and brake vibrations, and is lighter. The sloping geometry provides more control in technical passages.The built-in headset provides increased stiffness in the steering socket, and therefore more control
Suspension Rock Shox Sid Race 100 mm fork; PopLoc on handlebar. Dual Air technology with independently adjustable positive and negative pneumatic spring chambers, enables personalised fork adjustment for each rider. Motion Control™ enables lockout of the fork to avoid bobbing. The floodgate absorbs all the bumps in the ground so that total control of the bike is maintained. The SID is a lightweight and very rigid fork, a benchmark for cross country cycling.
Accessories / equipment /
Drive train Shimano XT chainset.
Shimano XT 11x36 10-speed cassette. Shimano XT shifters.
XT front and rear derailleurs
chainset / Cassette Shimano XT 22x32x44 chainset.
Shimano XT 11x36 10-speed cassette.
Brakes Hydraulic brakes. Elixir 7 takes tried and proven pleasure and precision, and adds a number of features from the Elixir 9, including the cutting edge TaperBore technology, 160 mm HS1 discs, and an upgraded purge system, all of which make the Elixir 7 the lastest addition in top-flight braking systems.
Handlebar / stem / steering b'Twin XC oversize handlebar; B'twin XC oversize 6° stem; Cane Creek built-in headset with sealed bearings. Oversize stem and handlebar add stiffness.
Wheels Shimano XT in front and rear;Rear 9/135mm, Front 9/100mm ; Center Lock disc mount; Tubetype rims (inner tube) and Tubeless; Quick release included; Weight: 1680 g per pair.
Tyres Hutchinson Cobra 2.0 tubeless light tyres: lightweight and reliable, offering perfect balance of speed and traction.
Saddle / seat post 31.6 mm Rockrider carbon seat post; B'Twin titanium saddle
Pedals X-pedo pedals weighing 325 g a pair.
Weight 9.870 kg in size M, without pedals

Rockrider 8.1

Frame: double-thickness 6061 T6 aluminium; racing geometry; 1.850 kg in size M. Lightweight and resistant. Its geometry offers an ideal combination for climbs and descents.
Fork / Suspension New Rock Shox RECON Silver TK 100 mm fork Remote Lock-Out on handlebars. Effective rebound adjustment, can be locked in place with a half turn of the lever.
Drivetrain SRAM X - 7 Front derailleur
SRAM X - 7 Rear derailleur;
Push pull Sram X7 levers.
Bottom bracket / Cassette Shimano Deore bottom bracket M590 22x32x44
SRAM PG950 11x32 9-speed cassette.
Brakes Avid ELIXIR 3 hydraulic disc brakes, 160 mm rotors Powerful, progressive in any circumstance.
Handlebar / Stem / Steering Raised Rockrider Comp handlebar 600/640mm; Rockrider Comp stem. Oversize stem and handlebar for durability and low weight. The position is higher to provide more control and comfort without affecting performance.
Wheels Rockrider Comp 32 hole rims by Rigida Hub JT D041/D142, 2 mm stainless steel spokes Sealed bearings.
Tyres New Michelin country trail tyre.
Saddle / Seat post New Rockrider MTB saddle by Vélo. Rockrider seat post
Pedals Wellgo 823 WPD clipless pedals. For better safety and performance
Weight 12 kg 850 in size S, without the pedals.

Comments

• If that 8XC is really £749 then its the bargain of the century
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    Is a stunning deal, as above, perhaps the best deal I have ever seen.
  • supersonic
    PS, it is not the 'replica' version you have seen, is it?
  • It maybe then if its that good will go back tomorrow and check. What is the difference? Although I have the feeling the glue is in the name lol
  • supersonic
    Same frame I think, just a more budget spec. Still a good bike though!
  • This is the replica. http://www.decathlon.co.uk/rockrider-8- ... 68896.html

Quite likely it was this version I think, given that it's out of stock online. Probably an end of line model.
  • supersonic
    Still a bloody steal lol! I'd have one!
  • Yep I reckon that's the one. Is it much better than the RR 8.1 for the extra money?

MonkFunk wrote:
    This is the replica. http://www.decathlon.co.uk/rockrider-8- ... 68896.html

Quite likely it was this version I think, given that it's out of stock online. Probably an end of line model.
  • supersonic
    For £200, yes. Carbon frame, better fork, 4 or 5 ponds lighter. Go for it!
  • Must be the replica. Will try and get over there and have another look.

Bike Radar have done a review on it and have said it is not ideal for serious single track riding but then given I live in Kent it might suit my riding as I dont come accross any big stuff anyway.

http://www.bikeradar.com/mtb/gear/categ ... lica-46670

Spec as follows:-
    Frame New uni-directional high module carbon frame 1,150 g in size M; this carbon frame composed of a rear compact triangle provides good pedalling return, reduces the vibrations of the terrain and brakes, and enables a lighter weight. The sloping geometry provides more control in technical passages. The integrated headset provides increased rigidity in the steering socket, and therefore more control.
    Suspension/shocks Rock Shox Recon Gold TK 100 mm fork, 1.680 g; Pop-Loc lockout on handlebar. Solo Air technology. The negative and positive pneumatic spring chambers are filled simultaneously using a single Schrader valve, simplifying the suspension adjustment. Pop-lock on the handlebars, enables lockout of the fork to avoid bobbing. The adjustable rebound enables total control of the bike.
    Drivetrain Truvativ Firex GXP 3.3 crankset 22x33x44 ; SRAM X-7 precise, reliable and lightweight shifters. SRAM X-7 front and rear derailleur K7 SRAM PG 1050 12x34 10 speeds. GXP bottom bracket with new sealed bearings that ensure durability.
    Brakes Avid Elixir 3 hydraulics 160mm. Very powerful brakes that are also easy to dose. Technology: Deep Stroke Modulation™. Enables superb brake modulation, letting you control the power of these brakes at all times and with complete delicacy. Power Reserve Geometry. Power Reserve Geometry reduces the interior travel of the lever and creates an arch which naturally fits your fingers, thus enabling you to brake with more power, and less effort.
    Stem/Handlebars B'twin XC oversize handlebar; B'twin XC oversize 6° stem; Integrated headset with Cane Creek sealed bearings. The oversize stem and handlebar offer more rigidity and weight.
    Saddle/Seat post B'twin alu 31.6 mm seat post; B'twin Titane saddle: comfort and lightweight in one.
    Wheels B'Twin comp. 2.150 g. 19 mm aluminium rims, aluminium hubs with sealed bearings. 2 mm stainless steel spokes. Very solid wheels for all types of terrain and for all riders.
    Tyres Hutchinson Cobra 26x2.0 HARDSKIN standard tube tyre (580 g). Lightweight tyres offering a good compromise between speed and traction. Smaller studs to optimise drive on dry terrain. Studs low on the tread for optimum performance. High side studs: provide excellent grip on slopes and make it easier to get out of ruts.
    Pedals VP clipless pedals.
    Sizing M / L / XL
    Weight 10.6kg in size M, without pedals.
  • supersonic
    There are far racier than this! Quite a relaxed head angle for an XC bike.
  • Defo going to try and get over there and have another look today or early in the week then.

I just hope it is up to what I want to do with it in the long term. Planning to do a number of events this year like the wiggle southern rough ride to build up for the Heart Foundation London to Brighton off road route in September and hope to follow this up next year with something like the Rat Race Coast to Coast. The rest of my riding I do locally is fairly easy riding with a mixture of bridleways parks and roads between them. I have a number of other pastimes such as golf and fishing and think the wife will flip out if I start spending like I do on these, so I want to by as good bike that will last the test of time. I don’t mind pushing the budget to the £750 if it is worth it (I’m sure the wife wont see it like that lol)
  • I'm sure when these were actually in stock on the website they were more like £900-£1000ish, so £750 strikes me as a good deal! If it wasn't for the whole buying a house malarky I'm currently embroiled in, I'd go straight down to Decathlon and snap one up myself...
  • Well after a bit of ermmm and ahhhhh ing in the shop I bought one ! This was helped by the sales assistant telling me that the sale ends when they have sold out and that he only had one in each size left this and another customer asking me if he could feel the weight of the one I was sitting on !!!!
  • Good choice! Out of interest which Decathlon store was this at?
  • Cheers mate

It was lakeside Essex. Have to say the bloke couldn’t have been more helpful. 5 year warranty on the frame 2 years on all working parts and a free service in the first 6 months.

I am just wondering how long I will get away with having it stood in the lounge !
  • eckky
    eckky Posts: 1
    i also saw this bike - afaik its the last one in the country because i had the guy check for me - too small for me but if it is still there buy it now.

this post doesn't do it justice. it's stunning and super cheap for what it is - go and get it before somebody else does.. :mrgreen: