Geometry help

b_real
b_real Posts: 157
edited February 2013 in MTB buying advice
Trying to see if the current Canyon Al 29ers will suit me.

So far I've tested a Transition Bandit 29 2012 and 2013 model, and a Rocky Mountain Element 950 2012. The Bandit 29 '2012 model, with 140mm front travel, was too slack for me:

Transition Bandit 29 '12 Size M, HA 68.5, SA 74, T/Tube 57.1, H/Tube 10, Chainstay 44.7, Wheelbase 113.4 .

In 2013 they steepened the head angle by half a degree and reduced the forks to 120mm, and this felt much better:

Transition Bandit 29 '13 Size M, H/A 69, S/A 74.8, T/Tube 57.3, H/Tube 10, Chainstay 44.2, Wheelbase 112.5

Although I could probably still go a bit steeper at the head angle I think. I really liked the feel of the Rocky Mountain:

Rocky Mountain Element 950 '12, Size M, H/A 70.6, S/A 74, T/Tube 58.2, H/Tube 10, Chainstay 44.5, Wheelbase 109.7. 120mm front forks.

The Nerve has a head angle in between the Bandit '13 and the RM:
Canyon Nerve AL 29 Size M, HA 70, SA 74, T/Tube 58.1, H/Tube 10, Chainstay 45, Wheelbase 111, Standover 80.2. 120mm front forks.

So I think it's looking like a good bet. Fairly happy that the seat angles and tube lengths are similar. But is there anything other than head angle that I should be looking at? Chainstays & wheelbases shouldn't really affect how the bike 'fits' should they? They're more for performance as I understand it? I'm more concerned about how it fits than how it performs (they'll all be better than what I've got now, which is nothing!).

Time's been short recently so testing has consisted of riding the bike round the block for 15 mins, rather than a full demo day. Going to have a look at a Whyte T129s too, although with a HA of 68 I'm thinking it's going to be as slack as the Bandit '12 model, which I didn't like.

Just after a bit of reassurance that I'm thinking along the right lines, not missing any howlers etc. before dropping the cash on a direct buy canyon.

The end.
Norco Sight Killer B

Giant Trance X3 - stolen.

Comments

• supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    There is so little in the chainstays I doubt you'd notice (+/- 0.3cm from the Bandit 2012). Generally speaking the longer the wheelbase the more 'stable' the bike feels - some might say less agile.

But it does depend how all this is measured too ie is the fork at full extension or sagged for example. None of those figures look out of the ordinary though. (except the 74.8 degree seat angle on 13 Bandit, that is unusually steep and will sit you well forward on the bike)
  • b_real
    b_real Posts: 157
    Just checked the Bandit '13 and it says 'effective seat tube angle' of 74.8 degrees. Does seem steep. It felt fine tho. I got the impression that the Bandit would really come into it's own out on the trails, it was growling.

Good to hear about the chainstay differences, one less thing to think about!
    Norco Sight Killer B

Giant Trance X3 - stolen.