Customising a Campag Veloce cassette

dabber
dabber Posts: 1,937
edited February 2013 in Workshop
I'm thinking of getting a Veloce (10) 13-29 cassette to ease my aching knees when I'm in France.

I've got a spare Veloce (10) 12-25 with less than a 1000 miles on it.

I was thinking that I could maybe customise the 13-29 to a 12-29 using a sprocket or two off the old cassette.

The sprockets available are:

12-25... 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 19, 21, 23, 25

13-29... 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 19, 21, 23, 26, 29

So, to my questions:
1. Is any sort of customisation like that possible?
2. To achieve 12-29 what sprockets would make most sense (where to out the bigger jumps)?

Any input much appreciated.
“You may think that; I couldn’t possibly comment!”

Wilier Cento Uno SR/Wilier Mortirolo/Specialized Roubaix Comp/Kona Hei Hei/Calibre Bossnut

Comments

• Miche do a custom cassette build kit. They proved a flop in the UK so the distributor dropped them. You might find them on mainland European sites
    Neil
    Help I'm Being Oppressed
  • flasher
    flasher Posts: 1,734
    Not that this helps with your specific question, but after many years Campag now do 12-27 and 12-30 in 10 speed Centaur cassettes.

http://www.gbcycles.co.uk/p/35056/Campa ... _35056.jpg
  • dabber
    Flasher wrote:
    Not that this helps with your specific question, but after many years Campag now do 12-27 and 12-30 in 10 speed Centaur cassettes.

http://www.gbcycles.co.uk/p/35056/Campa ... _35056.jpg

Thanks Wooliferkins. Tbh, I can't see me building up a full custom cassette, I was just looking to see if I could make any changes with what I already have.

Flasher. Thanks for that. Actually quite useful. I'm not looking to spend as much as that on a Centaur cassette but I had a look at the sprockets and it was useful as a guide. Btw, not sure my short cage would handle 50/34 and 12/30 but I think I'd probably get away with a 12/29.

One thing that's just struck me.. I don't think I could just add a "12 next to the "13" and remove something else within the cassette because both the "12" and the "13" I will have will have the built in spacer profile and I'm not sure if that would work.
    If it would I might be tempted to somewhat mirror the Centaur 12-30 by taking out the "16"... but not sure that would be an option.

Wilier Cento Uno SR/Wilier Mortirolo/Specialized Roubaix Comp/Kona Hei Hei/Calibre Bossnut
  • cycleclinic
    cycleclinic Posts: 6,865
    12-13-14-15-17-19-21-23-26-29 is what I would do. The 12T and 13T come from the 12-25 cassette and rest of the ratios from whichever cassette.
    http://www.thecycleclinic.co.uk -wheel building and other stuff.
  • dabber
    12-13-14-15-17-19-21-23-26-29 is what I would do. The 12T and 13T come from the 12-25 cassette and rest of the ratios from whichever cassette.

Thanks for that... that's what I had in mind when I said I'd remove the "16".

But help me here.

Both the "12" and "13" I'd have available to use would be ones with their own in-built spacer as opposed to the separate spacers that the rest of the sprockets use. Can I do that?

So it would be....

12-13-14-Spacer-15-Spacer-17-Spacer-19-Spacer-21-Spacer-23-Spacer-26-Spacer-29

• mustol
    mustol Posts: 134
    You can still get the Miche cassettes here - they do a Primato 12-29, think it's pretty much the same quality as the Veloce. It's what I plan to get when my 13-29 Veloce eventually wears out.
  • mustol, Cassettes yes, but not the individual sprockets to custom build a full block
    Neil
    Help I'm Being Oppressed
  • dabber
    Thanks for the replies.

One of the reasons I'm attracted to the cannibalisation of the 12-25/13-29 combo is that it might give me a cheap
    way of seeing what will work.

I've got a short cage RD which, although in theory, isn't within spec to run 13-29 but I have seen many reports saying it will work fine.
    Whether I could get away with 12-29 seems more debatable. So, as I've got the spare 12-25 kicking around I could experiment.
    First put the standard 13-29... see if that runs fine. Then chance my arm and put the 12 sprocket on (after removing another sprocket) and see if that works.
    If I buy the Miche 12-29 I'm really risking whether that will run at all.

• g00se
    g00se Posts: 2,221
    Just for info - I recently put a Miche 12-29 on a short cage centaur mech (with a compact chainset). it works fine and there's plently of capacity. It's one of the older 2010 rear mechs too - which have less capacity than the more recent mechs.

The machining quality of the Miche doesn't seem to be up to the same as the Centaur cassette - but the shifting quality is no different. I do miss some of the closer ratios down at the smaller end - but this cassette is for hilly days only so I can live with it.

Are you aware that Campag sprockets are machined with rampings that are designed to work in the ratios supplied - mismatching sprockets MAY mean worse shifting?
  • dabber
    Thanks a lot g00se. That's very useful to know and some good points to consider.

• dabber
    I just fitted a 13-29 this afternoon. I haven't played around with trying to swap any sprockets yet and thought I'd try it out in standard format.
    I have a new spare Veloce chain and thought I'd probably (should) fit that at the same time as the new cassette.
    However, I thought I'd see if the 13-29 would work with my existing chain and it looks like it will be fine. I thought I'd probably need to increase the length by a link or two but from running it on the workstand it looks fine with the old chain which was previously running with a 12-27 cassette.
    I'll take it out for a test run tomorrow and if all is fine I'll shorten my new chain to the same length as my old chain.
    Anyone see any problems with this?
    I did think that I'd shorten the new chain to the length of my old chain + 1 link but the extra link seems unnecessary.

• g00se
    g00se Posts: 2,221
    Sounds identical to when I tried a 13-29 in place of a 13-26. Worked fine and didn't need a link adding even though I thought thought it would.
  • dabber
    Cheers g00se. I'll see how the test ride goes tomorrow before finally deciding. If I'm at all unsure I'll put in the extra link and try it. Always easier to just take out another link than trying to put one back in.