The Sub £200 HT commuter/fun build....

davehmercer
davehmercer Posts: 82
edited February 2013 in Your mountain bikes
My plan was/is to build a HT to use for getting to work on and a bit of fun on the local trails for under £200. So far I have most of the parts (either bought from here/ST World or ebay) but am still waiting on the postman for a few bits!

The frame was donated by a good friend and as you can see it was a bit rough around the edges:

8451901439_d89487cc40.jpg

It is a 17.5" 2009 Carera Kraken.

I have since called in a favour with another friend and I have to say I think it's a massive improvement:

8451902393_1a7c7e6ffd.jpg

So far the component list is as follows:

Rock Shox xc28 Forks in white (these maybe changed for something a bit lighter but that will blow the budget)
Avid Elixr 1 disc brake set
SRAM/ Truative single ring chainset
Mavic M117 rims front is a Specailized stout hub , rear hub is a Shimano m-475
Seatpost and clamp that came with the frame
Bars and stem that I had knocking around
SRAM 11-34 rear cassette
LX Deore rear mech and shifter

Still looking for a chain guide that is not too expensive and at the moment I'm looking to come in on or around :lol: budget.

Any comments/criticisms would be appreciated

Thanks

Dave
:D

Comments

• The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Looks like a promising build, please bang it in the carrera HT thread when your done (see link in sig).

Chainguide, look at the one I have on my Kraken ( link in sig - last page, it needs a bash as well though) £11.46! Or use a cheap front mech locked off on the stops (road are lighter, I use a Sora on my commuter), you can even 'dremellium' it a bit to loose weight and neaten it up, or a N-gear jump stop if you have a bash.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • edhornby
    edhornby Posts: 1,780
    if you have access to an angle grinder you can take the teeth off the outer, clean it up with a file and hey presto you have a bash :)

get a front derailleur clamp adapter and some bolts with thick washers to make a cheapndirty chain stop

have you thought about rigid forks ? if it's primary use is commuting then you'll save weight and cost, a bouncy fork would only be locked out most of the time on the road
    "I get paid to make other people suffer on my wheel, how good is that"
    --Jens Voight
  • Had a bit of a quiet period at work this afternoon so fitted the headset and few other bits!

It's coming along nicely, just waiting for my wheels to turn up! :evil:

8456678406_b3f917d357.jpg
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    This is mine:

redzed.jpg

Is missing some bar ancillaries, but came in at just over £200 with the CrossMax wheels.
  • Looks great! I'm starting to think I might get some lighter forks as the XC are very heavy!

Also where did you get the wheels from? I'm starting to think mine wont be turning up anytime soon?
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    Are very old wheels, came off an old build! I picked up the SIDs for just £25!!!
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    That front brake cable looks a bit long Paul!

I ought to post my commuter at sometime!
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • Now have a set of 2009 Rock Shox Reba Race in black on their way so the XC will be sold on, hopefully my wheels should arrive soon and ill be able to get out and see how it rides

Pics to follow ASAP
  • Finish putting the bike togtether this evening! 1st ride will be tomorrow mornings commute! Lets hope it gets me to work! :D

8476138959_e6f99b2521.jpg

8476140489_4aa9f9af64.jpg

8476141629_6791f55fb4.jpg

Will post a full spec list in the morning...
  • Great project this. An inspiration for me to build my own Hardtail MTB. The forks are the most difficult things to source for me. A full spec list would be nice to see!