Ultegra Di2 Roubaix SL3 Upgrade

Roubaixsl3
Roubaixsl3 Posts: 48
edited February 2013 in Workshop
Just had my 2011 Roubaix SL3 upgraded to Ultegra Di2 by my LBS. All is well apart from the grommets. I had thought that as the frame is already internally cabled that the wiring grommets would all be a nice fit. I know that Shimano do supply both oval and round grommet kits for Di2 but not sure if they are suitable for this frame or not, perhaps that's why the LBS didn't use them ?. In particular the oval hole in the top tube, they have fitted a grommet of sorts but it's just flapping around and will certainly not prevent water ingress. The original grommet for the cable routing is held on with a small (M3 ?) screw but this is now not used. In addition the now redundant hole on the opposite side of the top tube has just been left with the original grommet fitted, are there not any blanking grommets available from Spesh ?. Perhaps Spesh do a specific grommet kist for their frames but I haven't been able to find any. Any ideas ?. I don't just want to revert to tape and/or silicone sealant, I want it to at least look like it's been done professionally.

Comments

• unixnerd
    unixnerd Posts: 2,864
    Take it back to the LBS and query it. No point having something annoying like this on such a nice bike!
    http://www.strathspey.co.uk - Quality Binoculars at a Sensible Price.
    Specialized Roubaix SL3 Expert 2012, Cannondale CAAD5,
    Marin Mount Vision (1997), Edinburgh Country tourer, 3 cats!
  • unixnerd wrote:
    Take it back to the LBS and query it. No point having something annoying like this on such a nice bike!
    To be honest I think they would just fob me off. They did explain that the grommets weren't up to much so I just figured I would improve it myself. A bit annoyed seeing as they are an authorised Spesh dealers, but I'm not going to make it an issue, they're a good shop to have local. I guess I'll try the Shimano grommet kit to see if they will do but would have thought these would come with the upgrade kit when the shop ordered the parts.
  • how much did you pay (if you don't mind me asking)?
  • unixnerd
    unixnerd Posts: 2,864
    Did you get the external battery or the one that fits under the seat post?
    http://www.strathspey.co.uk - Quality Binoculars at a Sensible Price.
    Specialized Roubaix SL3 Expert 2012, Cannondale CAAD5,
    Marin Mount Vision (1997), Edinburgh Country tourer, 3 cats!
  • Battery is the standard mount on the frame. My concern was that it would interfere with the bottle cages but it doesn't so I don't see any need to change it really. All in cost was just under £900. I guess I can sell the Ultegra components but will probably move them on to one of my other bikes instead.
  • Result. Contacted Spesh customer services who are going to remove the grommets/blanking plugs from a Di2 frame returned under warranty. They will supply these to the shop as they can't deal direct with the public. Very helpful customer service dept. indeed.
  • snakedoc
    snakedoc Posts: 200
    I too had some missing blanking covers and needed some additional grommets for my Di2 installation on my Tarmac SL4.

I didn't havev then but the guys at the Covent garden concept store fitted them on my frame for no charge when they built up the frame for me (I supplied the Di2 kit and all parts, so it was a build only job).

Did a great job!
  • snakedoc wrote:
    I too had some missing blanking covers and needed some additional grommets for my Di2 installation on my Tarmac SL4.

I didn't havev then but the guys at the Covent garden concept store fitted them on my frame for no charge when they built up the frame for me (I supplied the Di2 kit and all parts, so it was a build only job).

Did a great job!
    Would you be able to post some pictures of the various wire entry points for reference ?. My bike is still in the shop waiting for them to fit the gromets/blanks supplied by Spesh but when I checked what they'd sent I couldn't see that it would do for all of the entry points.
  • Looks good. I ended up replacing a couple of the grommets with Shimano ones, don't know why the LBS couldn't have just used them.