New hardtail, £1,000 ish

Benjo74
Benjo74 Posts: 67
edited February 2013 in MTB buying advice
So, after a year off the MTB (high-maintenance pregnant wife, followed by baby) things are now settled enough that I can get away with getting back on the trails. The thing is, my old MTB is looking shabby and past it, it weighs a ton, and, well... I just want a new one.

I reckon I can get away with approx £1k. Less would be good and if something really special catches my eye, I might justify a little more. I'll be trading in or e-baying my old bike, and the proceeds will affect my budget. My old bike is a Gary Fisher Cake 3, full sus, and is about 6 years old.

I think I can get a decent hardtail for that budget and I don't really need full sus anyway. I ride local trails with the odd (annual) trip to Afan.

I'd like some advice and tips on the new bike please. I fancy a 29er and somethinhg lightweight but well specced (for the price). I know I'll get better 2nd hand, but I'm a bit of a ponse and fancy a new shiny thing. Happy to go for a 2012 to get more bang for the buck.

Any suggestions?
FCN: 3 on the singlespeed, 4 on the roadie.

Comments

• Thanks - I'm liking the look of the Canyons. LBS has been tempting me with the Rockhopper 29er as well, and its going for about £800 if I remember right, but then again it's had some bad press (frame downgrade).

How do the fixtures and fittings compare on the Canyons? I'm not sure where they sit in the overall hierarchy. I guess there's a thread somewhere that can help me with that, I'll have a search.
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    The Rockhoppers cannot keep up with the Canyons on spec.
  • It was a rockhopper pro, SRAM, can't remember the rest. Think I'm edging toward the canyon...

Wonder if a local shop has them in. Will get googling and make notes.

Typical process is for me to spend ages dithering, make extensive notes, compare to death, then buy the one I first wanted.
  • bleasy
    bleasy Posts: 98
    Canyons are buy direct from canyon, your local bike shop won't have then in I'm afraid
  • LJ.
    LJ. Posts: 149
    I'd definitly say away from the rockhopper, it's so far behind those Grand Canyons
  • CB75
    CB75 Posts: 49
    the khs yuma looks good as far as 29ers go. think its round about the grand mark but again its a direct buy.
  • I think it's narrowed down to these two:

http://www.evanscycles.com/products/spe ... e-ec042246

http://www.canyon.com/_en/mountainbikes ... ab-reiter2

The Rockhopper is £850 in the LBS, so a price difference of about £280. Do you reckon the difference in spec is worth the £280? I am not 100% sure how the relative components rate against each other. I think the Canyon's forks are better, but I'm not sure on the rest - anyone able to offer advice?

The Rockhopper seems the safer bet (available in LBS, a bit cheaper, can try sizes etc) but somehow the Canyon is calling me. I appreciate any words of wisdom and experience that you lot may have to offer. Sorry to go on, but at the end of the day shelling out a grand on a bike is a lot to me, so I want to try not to regret the choice.

Thanks!
  • I'd have the cube that Aaddict link to.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Benjo74 wrote:
    The Rockhopper is £850 in the LBS, so a price difference of about £280. Do you reckon the difference in spec is worth the £280? I am not 100% sure how the relative components rate against each other. I think the Canyon's forks are better, but I'm not sure on the rest - anyone able to offer advice?
    The Canyons forks are much much better - as well as being about 1/2Kg lighter, as is just about everything else on the bike.....unless you can't afford the Canyon, there is no good reason to buy the Rock, even then there are others better, much better, that bike is just not good value for money.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • So I reckon the rockhopper is off the short list. This other cube was also recommended to me but, again, I'm not sure how the spec compares to the canyon or Aaddict's cube...

http://www.bromleybike.co.uk/shop/bikes ... 50449.html
  • It's no where near that other Cube.
  • The Spesh would have a higher resale value than the others.
  • Spacedog wrote:
    The Spesh would have a higher resale value than the others.

How is that relevant? I doubt it has a much stronger resale value considering the poor spec etc. yes it's a reliable and globally recognised brand but its not great value. Ask most people on here and they would likely chose a different bike over a Rockhopper. And the difference at this price point would be negligible I'd say.
    Family, Friends, Fantastic trails - what else is there

viewtopic.php?f=10017&t=12898838
    viewtopic.php?f=10017&t=12897374
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Watch ebay, Specialized fetch far more than they should generally, most people buy on name, not capability!
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    But who buys a sh1t bike for resale value?
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • cooldad wrote:
    But who buys a sh1t bike for resale value?

Agreed - I'm not arsed about resale value, I'm buying it to ride and crash and eventually run into the ground. In my mind, the cash I'm laying out is payment for the good times I'm hoping to have on the bike. Not an investment that I hope to claw back.

I had similar comments from my brother in law (a car salesman) when I was getting a new car. "This colour is more popular, this engine is better resale, those extras are dead money, etc". I didn't care - I wanted the gadgets I wanted and the colour etc i wanted, not what the next owner might want.

Having said that, I also want to get the best components etc for my budget (who wouldn't?), and so I really do appreciate all the advice here, as I personally don't know how the various components rank against each other and I'd be annoyed if I bought a bike and subsequently realised I could have got something more effective / reliable / robust / lightweight / etc for the same price or less.
  • I'm not saying its the most important thing, but it's something to keep in mind.

With cars a VW will cost more but will have a higher resale value when you sell it.... than say a Citroen.

I churn bikes every 2-3 years so is an important factor. Saying that, i am not expecting my Pivot to have a high resale value it's not a very cool brand. If it was an Ibis, yeti, Santacruz etc... It would expect to get more for it.
  • Spacedog wrote:
    I'm not saying its the most important thing, but it's something to keep in mind.

With cars a VW will cost more but will have a higher resale value when you sell it.... than say a Citroen.

I churn bikes every 2-3 years so is an important factor. Saying that, i am not expecting my Pivot to have a high resale value it's not a very cool brand. If it was an Ibis, yeti, Santacruz etc... It would expect to get more for it.

Fair enough, and you're right, but I'm unlikely to get an excuse to trade in again until it's a wreck, so resale isn't one of my main deciding factors. I reckon I'm 99% there on the Canyon 7.9 now. I just need to be able to sell my current bike to get away with it. I hate e-bay, but looks like that's the only practical option. Just hope its worth enough to bring my layout on the Canyon to less than a grand!

Erm, anyone want to buy a nice Gary Fisher Cake 3? Will accept trade in for brand new Canyon... :lol:
  • Merlincycles.com are updating their entire MTB range supposedly due around the beginning of March 2013. If the new bikes are quality... and they still offer their custom spec they might be a good punt for your money.
  • One last alternative in the mix. LBS has offered me one of these:
    http://www.evanscycles.com/products/spe ... 0#features
    For £1020 and offered me £230 trade in for my old FS. That means an £790 layout for the carve comp 29er.

Can anyone tell me whether the carve above is as good, better or worse than the Canyon 7.9 below
    https://www.canyon.com/_en/mountainbike ... tml?b=3013

I'm not getting it from Evans, but their website shows the full spec. Between the two, I'm not bothered now about the price difference, I just wonder what is the better bike.

Thanks for your patience and advice!
  • One last alternative in the mix. LBS has offered me one of these:
    http://www.evanscycles.com/products/spe ... 0#features
    For £1020 and offered me £230 trade in for my old FS. That means an £790 layout for the carve comp 29er.

Can anyone tell me whether the carve above is as good, better or worse than the Canyon 7.9 below

I'm not getting it from Evans, but their website shows the full spec. Between the two, I'm not bothered now about the price difference, I just wonder what is the better bike.

Thanks for your patience and advice!
  • LJ.
    LJ. Posts: 149
    The Canyon is in a different class, not even close
  • No contest between the Canyon and the Specialized. Canyon wins hands down.
  • OK, I'm ready to pull the trigger on a Grand Canyon AL 7.9 29er. Thanks everyone for the advice, and one last question...

A lot of the (few and far between) complaints in the reviews / comments I've seen say that there are problems with the paintwork chipping too easily or even peeling off. I know I'm going to fall off and scratch it, but when shelling out a grand for a new bike I suppose I want it to look good, at least until the scars are my own. While I have never fancied a white bike (reminds me of those MTBs you see policemen riding in London) I really like the look of the white Canyons with the blue bits. The alternative is the anodised black and white version, which might be better wearing, even if it does look a little less flash. Although the "anodised = less scratchable" thing might just be in my head.

Can anyone share their experience and recommendations?

Thanks
    Ben
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    Anodised is generally tougher, and also lighter.
  • Had a look and a quick ride on a Grand Canyon AL9.9 on Tuesday night (someone on a club ride has one) and decided to go for it (going for the 7.9 though, bit cheaper but same frame).

Sat down at work yesterday, logged onto Canyon and filled in the order. Reached for bag, pulled out wallet.... Credit Card left at home! Disaster! However, very excited to report that I remembered the CC this morning and I have just pulled the trigger on this:

Can't wait for it to arrive now - sat here hitting "refresh" on my email, looking for the tracking number. WooHoo!

Thanks to everyone for the advice, help and opinions - I really appreciate it.
  • Have fun.
    Family, Friends, Fantastic trails - what else is there

viewtopic.php?f=10017&t=12898838
    viewtopic.php?f=10017&t=12897374