Newbie questions - wheel/fork upgrade, headsets, etc

andyedwards
andyedwards Posts: 2
edited January 2013 in MTB beginners
Hello,
Recently I bought a new 2012 Specialized Rockhopper 29er COMP. I'm not a huge fan as it really has it's issues on the rocky Phoenix, AZ trails. I'm trying to decide on what to do and have a few choices:

1. Sell the bike to my friend and buy a new 2013 Specialized Carve 29er COMP. ($250 out of pocket) Th

2. Keep the bike and upgrade to a Marzocchi Corsa SL LR Tapered 29 fork and Easton EA 90 XC 29 wheels. ($425 out of pocket)

Price wise, I'm not concerned about the $175 difference. However, I want this to be my last upgrade for a while and I'm not sure if the wheels+work would be an amazing upgrade over a new bike. I just want to be happy and at this point in time the Rockhopper is not cutting it. I feel all over the place going on the non beginner trails. The steering is horrid and the fork is a pogo stick waiting to kill me.

I do realize I would have to make a modification for option two, as it's tapered. Would it require a new headset or adapter, or is it frame specific and my frame just can't handle the tapered fork? Also, I have captain sport 29x2.0 tires, so I imagine I can run tubeless right off the bat without additional money if I got option two with the UST wheels. I'm very new to this so specifications are something I'm having an issue with.

I would love to just ride the rockhopper until the wheels fall off, but it's not practical for the trails around here at it's current spec. All of the choices are still available on Craigslist (bike or wheels/fork) and am ready to make a decision. Thank you for the input.

Comments

• cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Bit difficult to comment, as no idea of the spec on the Rockhopper - links would help - this is mainly a UK site, so prices, spec etc are not really comparable. Bikes and bits are relatively more expensive here.
    Doubt you can fit a tapered fork to a 1 1/8 steerer tube though.
    Also we manily ride in slime and mud - dry and rocky sounds like heaven.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools