Theft prevention

thelonegroover
thelonegroover Posts: 1,073
edited January 2013 in MTB general
I’d like to alert members to theft prevention measures. Having very recently had a Cube LTD SL, Cube AMS 110 race and an OnOne Inbred stolen from our bike shed at home.

I suspect the fact that I left the bike racks on the roof of the car may have attracted the interest of the thieves. I’d recommend removing your racks if not actually in use.
Planet X Kaffenback 2
Giant Trance X2
Genesis High Latitude 2x10
Planet X n2a
Genesis Core 20

Comments

• bluechair84
    bluechair84 Posts: 4,352
    Be careful not to become complacent with your replacement bikes and lock them up as best you can, as the theives may very well strike again once you've replenished your stock. If they know your shed is a gold mine, they might return.
    I've two bikes in the shed and when I'm away for any length of time, I seperate them; one into the house and one in the shed so if either is broken into, they can't take the lot.
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Sorry for your loss but if you want to buy a Cube LTD SL, Cube AMS 110 race and an OnOne Inbred let me know.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • Chunkers1980
    Chunkers1980 Posts: 8,035
    Be careful not to become complacent with your replacement bikes and lock them up as best you can, as the theives may very well strike again once you've replenished your stock. If they know your shed is a gold mine, they might return.
    I've two bikes in the shed and when I'm away for any length of time, I seperate them; one into the house and one in the shed so if either is broken into, they can't take the lot.

Yep, and even when in the house when away it is locked to something so scum can't just ride it as a getaway from the burglary, least they'll have to carry it or whatever if they are not actual bike thiefs with cutters.
  • Good points taken. I've already increased the security of the shed door. In fact they'd have to virtually demolish the shed now. Planning to install some anchors in the floor also.
    Planet X Kaffenback 2
    Giant Trance X2
    Genesis High Latitude 2x10
    Planet X n2a
    Genesis Core 20
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    We've had some taken out of shed roofs as well......
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • pastey_boy
    pastey_boy Posts: 2,083
    Easiest way to prevent bike theft from your property is to napalm any nearby council estates.
    Viner Salviati
    Shark Aero Pro
    Px Ti Custom
    Cougar 531
    Sab single speed
    Argon 18 E-112 TT
    One-one Ti 456 Evo
    Ridley Cheetah TT
    Orange Clockwork 2007 ltd ed
    Yeti ASR 5
    Cove Hummer XC Ti
  • .blitz
    .blitz Posts: 6,197
    I’d recommend removing your racks if not actually in use.
    Having been on the receiving end of unwanted pikey attention in the past I would take it further and do absolutely nothing that might advertise you have a decent bike.

This includes not cleaning it or leaving it outside your house (have heard of people that have been cased in this way) and if you ride to/from home make sure there's no-one in the street. There have been a few times when I'm nearly home and there's been a car or people I don't recognise in the street I just ride straight past and come back later.

Re: the shed lining it with wire mesh makes it more difficult to break into and you can also fit a http://www.londonbar.co.uk/ to reinforce the frame but again keep it discrete if you have a fully-armoured shed it's bound to attract attention.

Paranoid? Maybe :? can't be too careful these days
  • Thewaylander
    Thewaylander Posts: 8,594
    Trip wires, land mines, and a sniper rifle...

its nothing less than they deserve.
  • pesky_jones
    pesky_jones Posts: 2,890
    I keep one of my bikes in the green house. Theres small masonary walls inside about waist height orignially to shelf plants, but now it acts as an anchor. The greenhouse itself is steel frame with a good padlock to the door. You can't take the glass out from outside (or inside tbf without dismantling the frame). I have two sheds in the garden and the greenhouse, the greenhouse being the most hidden behind two trees. I suppose the two sheds act as a distraction containing only multiple off-cuts of ply and timber :lol:

The way I look at it, if there going to cut through a lock then they could do that on the shed - but if they're planning on forcing it then theres no way im sleeping through the sound of smashing glass.
  • DodgeT
    DodgeT Posts: 2,255
    /\ /\ can you not rig the greenhouse "hand that rocks the cradle" style???
  • Thewaylander
    Thewaylander Posts: 8,594
    Push for harsher laws against thieves.

Remove fingers.
  • pesky_jones
    pesky_jones Posts: 2,890
    DodgeT wrote:
    /\ /\ can you not rig the greenhouse "hand that rocks the cradle" style???
    I've never seen the film but is it home alone style rigging? Cos that would be cool
  • Stu Coops
    Stu Coops Posts: 426
    If it's man made it's man broken as these bastards will get it if they want it badly enough.
    Zesty 514 Scott Scale 20 GT Expert HalfwayupMTB
  • dmorton
    dmorton Posts: 244
    Shed Shackle is good for sheds

http://securityforbikes.com/shed-shackle.php

Easier use and fit compared to ground anchor, but pretty much as secure
  • My bike is in a dining room. To nicj it they would have to get it through 3 narrow doors whether they go though the back or front of house. And thats if they dont disturb my 30mph lurcher!!

The sheds in my garden are old and knackered as i havent got round to replacing them yet. If they try and look for bike in there the sheds would prob collapse on them, so that would give me a few laughs at least!
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    I keep one of my bikes in the green house. Theres small masonary walls inside about waist height orignially to shelf plants, but now it acts as an anchor. The greenhouse itself is steel frame with a good padlock to the door. You can't take the glass out from outside (or inside tbf without dismantling the frame). I have two sheds in the garden and the greenhouse, the greenhouse being the most hidden behind two trees. I suppose the two sheds act as a distraction containing only multiple off-cuts of ply and timber :lol:

The way I look at it, if there going to cut through a lock then they could do that on the shed - but if they're planning on forcing it then theres no way im sleeping through the sound of smashing glass.
    We have had bike stolen on here where walls have been taken down and the anchor was taken as well.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown