Help needed for this crash victim to make up his mind

Wookiemcbear
Wookiemcbear Posts: 13
edited January 2013 in Road buying advice
Hello all 

I am a newbie on here and to road bikes and am looking for some advice. Some weeks ago I was involved in a crash which totalled my bike and everything i was wearing but somehow I managed to get away with just a sore head and cuts and bruises mostly thanks to the helmet my wife convinced me to buy (thank god but just don't tell her). 

In my past I have been a lover of mountain biking and dabbled in road bikes on my dads brown 2ton raleigh lol. When I was looking at bikes back then it was GT, treks, orange and the such like but now I'm looking at the world of road bikes some 15 years on I'm completely lost with the fancy foreign names and don't know my giants from my pinarello's and my aluminium from my carbons. 

The bike I lost in the crash was just a standard carreara which I purchased as a cheap cycle to work bike worried i might not take to it. I then found myself cycling 30miles most evening just for fun and lost 3 stone. Now that bike has gone and I'm due some compo as the fella driving the car broad sided me when I was going round a roundabout and he was joining it. I feel it's time to get a much better bike to help myself progress and become a better cyclist and take part in some sportive events.

I have been doing some research and the giant defy1 is looking like a safe choice for my ball park price bracket. But I think I want something a little different and i also want the get the best I can for my money I have a budget of around £1500 and open to any suggestions that people may have.

Thank you all for your time 

Mark 

Stockton on tees 
Northeast England 

Comments