Commuting Tights/bibs advice please

stayhigh65
stayhigh65 Posts: 611
edited January 2013 in Road buying advice
Morning all

Yesterday I discovered the seat area of my Endura Event shorts had started to delaminate and is now rather more porous then it should be I've had these for a good couple of years without issue and would happily buy them again however I suspect wearing these for commuting has contributed somewhat to there demise.

This got me thinking that I should maybe look at getting some (gulp) lycra longs/bibs to wear on my commute instead which leads to the inevitable "what tights" question.

I usually wear liners, 3/4 shorts, ls base layer & gillet with a back pack unless its lashing down in which case I'll use my event jacket instead. I had a look on Wiggle at the dhb range, in particular the Vaeon range which seem to tick most boxes but the reviews suggest some sizing issues. I'm 5'11" with 34" waist so need a large which unfortunately wont be in stock until late feb/mar time :shock:

I think that I would maybe run too hot with bibs under my ls top/gillet so maybe tights are the way to go. At the risk of sounding somewhat self conscious what do you wear under tights if padded ones or normal liners with unpadded tights?

My budget would be around £60 and my commute is 12-15 miles.

Cheers all
Wow great ship man. Looks like a fish, flies like a fish, steers like a cow.

HECKLER
exercise.png

Comments

• Have a paid of these myself & have had no issues, served me pretty well through the 2 weeks of snow we have had but also good in the wind rain - http://www.shuttvr.com/shop/productdeta ... ib-Tights/ in sale now at £65
    Pain hurts much less if its topped off with beating your mates to top of a climb.
  • prawny
    prawny Posts: 5,439
    For commuting unpadded tights over padded shorts/liner is sensible, then you only really have to buy one pair of tights and wash them at the weekend.

Bib tights do tend to be very warm though, the bib part covers a lot more than summer shorts so worth bearing in mind.
    Saracen Tenet 3 - 2015 - Dead - Replaced with a Hack Frame
    Voodoo Bizango - 2014 - Dead - Hit by a car
    Vitus Sentier VRS - 2017
  • prawny wrote:
    For commuting unpadded tights over padded shorts/liner is sensible, then you only really have to buy one pair of tights and wash them at the weekend.

Bib tights do tend to be very warm though, the bib part covers a lot more than summer shorts so worth bearing in mind.

This is where my thinking is leading at the moment, just need to get over the whole Mamil crisis now :wink:

HECKLER
    exercise.png
  • Hmmm, not sure whether to go for the Roubiax or just plain unpadded, I'll be wearing them for the next couple of months til we get some sunshine at least.

HECKLER
    exercise.png