£1500'ish hardtail 29er?

broona
broona Posts: 414
edited February 2013 in MTB buying advice
A couple of lads I go riding with have built themselves some Surly Karate Monkey 29ers, and after a quick blast on them, I want one, lol!

Currently got a Boardman FS Pro, but I fancy a hard tail to go with it, and a 29er just seems to fit the bill.

My favourite is the One One Lurcher X9 at £1300 - http://www.on-one.co.uk/i/q/FBOOLRCAB/o ... _bike_2013

Is there anything better at that price, or any other alternatives worth looking at? Cheers. :D

Comments

• The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Trek Superfly
    http://www.evanscycles.com/products/tre ... e-ec042126
    Better fork than the Lurcher,
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • The Spiderman
    The Spiderman Posts: 5,625
    edited January 2013
    Only thing that gets near on spec is the Canyon Grand Al 29er. They tend to be more racy/xc though in terms of spec and component choices.

The Whyte 729 and Giant XTC look nice too, but spec isn`t quite so good.Both are well reviewed though and would make a good basis for upgrading with better wheels.

The Lurcher is the only one I can think at this price with the carbon frame.The frame isn`t especially light due to the bolt on/convertible drop outs and I`d personally prefer Shimano over SRAM but it is still a stunning deal.
    The Lurcher has a more trail worthy spec than some too with its wide bars,short stem and chunky rubber. Again this adds weight but it depends where your priorities lie.

Not being a gnar dude ,I wish On One did a deal on the Carbon Race for a similar sort of price.....................
    2006 Giant XTC
    2010 Giant Defy Advanced
    2016 Boardman Pro 29er
    2016 Pinnacle Lithium 4
    2017 Canondale Supersix Evo
  • Trek Superfly
    http://www.evanscycles.com/products/tre ... e-ec042126
    Better fork than the Lurcher,

Nice bike and a pretty good deal by current big brand name standards.
    The Recon on the Lurcher is the Gold air version with 15mm bolt through,so its not bad. I guess you could upgrade the damper. It won`t be much heavier than the Reba since the outers are much the same.
    2006 Giant XTC
    2010 Giant Defy Advanced
    2016 Boardman Pro 29er
    2016 Pinnacle Lithium 4
    2017 Canondale Supersix Evo
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Also the Trek is Shimano throughout....not too badly specced either.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • mulley
    mulley Posts: 70
    I've recently become a fan of the whyte 29er since getting my 629. I wanted the 729 but as it's my 2nd bike couldn't justify the extra when fir a grand the 629 is a good bike. Highly recommend the whytes and would advice riding one you'll not be disappointed. My friend brought the cube ltd sl at the same time on paper a better spec bike but in the real world it doesn't ride any better than my whyte, so the moral being bling is good but it still has to suit you!
    Giant TCR
    Planet X Exocet 2
    Trek superfly fs
  • broona
    Thanks for the replies, gonna stick my head into the LBS and see what they can do for me too.

My Boardman's got SRAM X9 all round, and that's been far better than the Shimano on my mate's Zesty, so I'm happy to go with that again.

I prefer the look of the Whyte 629 to the 729, so if I was going for one, I'd probably get the cheaper one and spend some money on upgrades, lol! ;)
  • rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    I think you could just about build a Ti 29er for £1500.
    Titus frame for £499 http://www.on-one.co.uk/i/q/FRTITFLL/ti ... 29er_frame
    Revelation 29er fork for £290 http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Mode ... elID=94595

That leaves plenty for the rest of the components.
  • RandG
    RandG Posts: 779
    7.9 Canyon. Nothing else needs looking at.
  • rockmonkeysc
    RandG wrote:
    7.9 Canyon. Nothing else needs looking at.

Canyon isn't always the answer. I wouldn't buy one.
  • broona
    Titanium sounds nice, On One have got loads of £150'ish 29er frames in too, sounds like a good project for my mate at the LBS, lol! ;)
  • rockmonkeysc
    Building it yourself is surprisingly easy. You would just need to get the shop to face the BB shell.
  • broona
    Right, still looking and a little undecided, but think I've narrowed it down to the following, any advice before I get my card out :-

Canyon Yellowstone AL 6.9
    Canyon Grand Canyon AL 7.9
    Canyon Grand Canyon AL 8.9
    Whyte 629 (possibly a 729, but I'd prefer to stick closer to £1000 if possible!)
    The On One Lurcher or Dirty Harry

Still a fairly long list, lol, so any advice appreciated! ;)
  • broona
    Canyon had long lead times on all the models I was interested in, so I've ordered a Morewood Kwela 29er instead! ;)
  • I'm looking forward to a new Genesis High Latitude 2x10 (steel 29er) to replace my Onone Inbred (steel 26er).
    Planet X Kaffenback 2
    Giant Trance X2
    Genesis High Latitude 2x10
    Planet X n2a
    Genesis Core 20
  • I'm looking forward to a new Genesis High Latitude 2x10 (steel 29er) to replace my Onone Inbred (steel 26er).
    Planet X Kaffenback 2
    Giant Trance X2
    Genesis High Latitude 2x10
    Planet X n2a
    Genesis Core 20