Canyon Buying advice

chrispsmith83
chrispsmith83 Posts: 67
edited January 2013 in Road buying advice
Hi all,

New on here so Hello.

I just wanted to ask what may seem like a daft question. I am taking on several 100 mile Sportive events this year and at the same time i am after a new bike. you know what it's like when you see a bike you have fallen for.

Anyway I am really keen on buying a Canyon, however I have noticed a few reviews that say Canyons have more f a race set up than sportive.

Would anyone agree with this? Can this be gotten around with an adjustable stem?

Any help would be great, Im really keen on a Canyon but obviously don't want to buy the wrong machine.

Oh im looking at the Ultimate AL by the way

Thanks

Comments

• majormantra
    majormantra Posts: 2,094
    Look at the Roadlite if you want something less aggressive - check the headtube lengths.
  • styxd
    styxd Posts: 3,234
    Turn the stem the other way up - you've got yourself a sportive bike.

Its all marketing bullshit.

If a bike fits it fits, if it doesnt, it doesnt!

Fairly straightforward.
  • chigman
    chigman Posts: 163
    If your going to get one be quick about it. Canyon's prices are rising pretty steeply just lately. I ordered a bike with them 2/1/13 and it's gone up £110.00 already in that time :shock: Still great value though :D

Steve
    Canyon Ultimate CF SLX 7.0
    Cube Crossteam Hybrid
  • chigman wrote:
    If your going to get one be quick about it. Canyon's prices are rising pretty steeply just lately. I ordered a bike with them 2/1/13 and it's gone up £110.00 already in that time :shock: Still great value though :D

Steve

I think they are the same price in Euros. It's the exchange rate that is affecting the price.
    "You really think you can burn off sugar with exercise?" downhill paul
  • Yep, the Euro prices haven't changed. The non-Euro prices are updated daily based on the current exchange rate. The GBP hasn't been doing well the last few weeks!
  • nferrar
    nferrar Posts: 2,511
    Sportive geo isn't marketing BS but whether it's needed is certainly debatable. It's not just a longer head tube but usually a shorter top tube as well, both giving a more upright position. You can get the bar height close with spacers and a flipped/high-angle stem but it can look a bit naff (and lots of spacers does nothing to aid front-end stiffness). So short answer is yeah you can probably adapt a Canyon to your needs (if you want a more upright position) but you might need to change the stem and I'm not sure how long the fork steerers come from the factory (hopefully with plenty spare so you can cut down for a lower front-end otherwise you won't be able to use spacers to raise it).
  • Thanks for your comments guys, this has been helpful. Ive fallen for the bike so I don't think it will be long before a purchase is made.
  • styxd
    styxd Posts: 3,234
    nferrar wrote:
    You can get the bar height close with spacers and a flipped/high-angle stem but it can look a bit naff

So....

Its mainly driven by looks and marketing then? :D
  • Yep, the Euro prices haven't changed. The non-Euro prices are updated daily based on the current exchange rate. The GBP hasn't been doing well the last few weeks!

Does anyone know how this affects existing orders? Are they invoiced at the £-euro rate at the time of order or at the time of dispatch?
    I cannot find any info on the website.
  • Mine was invoiced at the price it was when I submitted the order. The price increased £20 between ordering and invoicing but I was charged the lower, original price.
  • Mine was invoiced at the price it was when I submitted the order. The price increased £20 between ordering and invoicing but I was charged the lower, original price.

Thanks Aussie.
    That's good to know as mine is £220 different today :shock:
  • Steve236
    Steve236 Posts: 212
    I also ordered a Ultimate AL 7 last Tuesday (at GBP 1,189). It had gone up by a bit by the time it arrived yesterday (6 days - I was impressed!) but yes, also charged the amount at time of ordering.

I've had to come away to a meeting today so I literally had about 2 hours with it last night but managed to assemble it, get the saddle height right and sit on it at least. I was also a bit concerned about the geometry before ordering and only went for it on a last minute whim over the roadlite, mainly based on the roadcc best bike review. I certainly didn't feel too stretched out and low with non-flipped stem and I think a couple of spacers. I sat on a Moda Rubato last week - now that, I did feel quite stretched out on. Obviously time will tell but I think I needn't have worried re the geometry. I do have a relatively long torso though I think