Cone Spacer -20mm for Specialized Mindset Headset 1 1/8"

forestnot1
forestnot1 Posts: 244
edited January 2013 in Workshop
I have a Specialized Roubaix Pro 08 with a Specialized Mindset Headset 1 1/8" integrated threadless labelled up as Cane Creek.

Id like to lower my bars however i am restricted by a 20mm cone spacer.

Im not sure where to source a shorter cone spacer from Any ideas or anybody with a spare would be much appreciated.

Cheers

Comments

• smidsy
    smidsy Posts: 5,273
    What is under the cone?

Some makes allow the cone to be removed and this will then enable you to lower the stem.
    Yellow is the new Black.
  • Below it is the top of the bearings so i dont think i can do without one.

I see some manufacturers do shorter ones however not sure whether they work on top of other brands
  • You should be able to go to a specialized dealer and get a new headset. The sizing of the top cap dimensions hasn't changed for a long time. The top cap literally just sits on top of the split ring (that sits on top of the bearing) and you can change it out for top caps that come with bikes such as the Tarmac. You'll notice that a lot of the Tarmac's and some of the higher end Roubaix's have a 5mm (or maybe 7mm?) top cap rather than the 20mm top cap that comes standard. The bottom bearing, etc may be a different size however the top cap should be identical.

They may also do the top caps separately but I haven't worked at a Specialized dealer for a while and can't remember off the top of my head.

However to be honest, most Cane Creek top caps should fit fine, but you do find there are different dimensions to frames and they don't always marry up like the true OE parts.
  • Thanks for your reply.

Yeah i think 20mm is still standard on all Roubaix's but Tarmacs do seem to have shorter ones however struggling to find one!

Il give my nearest Specialized dealer a ring and see if they can help locate one as i dont really want to buy a new headset. If they do have one, will be the same size/work the same as mine as mine is a few years old?

Also i have seen one on ebay albeit not cane creek or specialized however it doesnt have a rubber seal would that work? http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/300849304952? ... 1423.l2649
  • Monty Dog
    Monty Dog Posts: 20,614
    Any integrated headset top cover should fit - the thinnest are 8mm. The trouble is getting hold of one without having to buy a whole new headset - I have a box full of 15mm ones as I've swapped most of mine to the lower ones
    Make mine an Italian, with Campagnolo on the side..
  • Ok so brand shouldnt really matter, is the rubber 'seal' needed as the one on ebay doesnt have one?

I dont suppose any of your are Cane creek/specialized, and youd know how you got hold of them?
  • Monty Dog
    Monty Dog Posts: 20,614
    Rubber seal is simply to improve weather resistance and improve aesthetics as there needs to be a nominal gap. You could use a suitable squishy O-ring that fits around the outside of the bearing to do the same job. Funnily enough I was looking for a spare top cover for my MTB - I'll order one of the ebay jobs.
    Make mine an Italian, with Campagnolo on the side..
  • I had the same issue with my Allez. I went into the Spesh shop in Covent Garden and they gave the top part of an FSA headset which is thinner than the 20 mil cone spacer. I then had to take the bike back to my local shop for a new pair of forks and got them to change the top cap, whilst I was there the mechanic removed a cone spacer off a 2012 Allez and it had the smaller top cap underneath the cone? They have changed it on the 2013 model!

I've still got the one from the Spesh shop if you PM me your details ill stick it in the post 8)