tacx rollers help

tubbs_214
tubbs_214 Posts: 185
edited January 2013 in Workshop
so ive got some tacx antares 1000 rollers and they have been noisy since ive owned them no matter how tight and solid they seem when im not on them, all of a sudden they have got some resistance to the point where i can hardly use them ive check the bearings there all fine my tyres are pumped up but have changed them from 23mm to 25mm but cant see that making that much difference.

any help would be appreciated ive had them for well over a year but they have only had light use as i hate the bloody things

Comments

• big_p
    big_p Posts: 565
    define "noisy". i have a set and from new they have never been silent, the noise level varies depending on the bike and rider using them.
    if I'm on them with my conti gp 4000's, they make considerably more noise than if the missus is on them with her pro race 4's, but i weigh 210 lbs and she weighs 107 lbs, but if she gets on them with her tt bike with 60mm mavic cosmic's and evo corse tyres, then they make a loud drumming noise and are louder than the 2 other bike's put together.
  • tubbs_214
    It's not tyre noise more like a really loud rattle its horrible checked all the bearings and there all set In solid enough. I usually can block out the noise with my iPod but the resistance thing is doing my head in.
  • andy_wrx
    andy_wrx Posts: 3,396
    Is it all 3 rollers ?
    If you spin them by hand with the drive belt removed, are all 3 equally stiff and noisy ?

I have some older Tacx rollers and replaced the bearings, one was obviously faulty, suddenly made a godawful clattering noise and then shortly after exploded, scattering ball bearings all over the garage floor...
  • big_p
    big_p Posts: 565
    you haven't put the rubber band around the rear roller have you ?

it should only be on the front and center rollers.
  • tubbs_214
    Funny thing is is that they spin freely when spun with out any load on them ok the front one sounds abit rough but it spins well and doesn't wobble around to much it moves a little but not enough to make a difference I would have thought any way

Yes the rubber band is on right I've been using them for well over a year

I took them apart again after my ride might have a look at changing the bearings if there not to expensive. Made sure everything is straight I might just sack them off and buy some new ones. With alloy rollers.
  • term1te
    term1te Posts: 1,462
    I've got the same rollers. If they are not on a dead flat surface they can be quite noisy. I've had to put a thin bit of card under one of the feet, which cured the rattling noise, but not the road/tyre noise.