Are my 3T Carbon Bars Ruined?

mrwibble
mrwibble Posts: 980
edited January 2013 in Workshop
Bought these last January and fitted them on my TT bike last April, obviously we have done a little adjusting since then. Used carbon paste and torqued to the recommended 5nm. I think they are ruined, there is a stress crease where the stem attaches to the clamping surface.

Is it my fault or manufacturing defect?

8416985312_baecac968c_c.jpg

Comments

• Not sure who/what is to blame, but if there is only a single torque value specified this is normally the maximum value not necessarily the recommended value. You can often get away with much less than the maximum. What stem was being used? Was it also 3T? I seem to remember that there was a problem using some stems (can't remember which brand) with some forks which ended up with the fork manufacturer issuing a statement saying not to use that brand of stem. If you do not have a 3T stem perhaps this could be a similar sort of issue?
  • ricky1980
    ricky1980 Posts: 891
    Contact 3T and see what they say.

5NM can't be the Max torque setting for these bars.
    Road - Cannondale CAAD 8 - 7.8kg
    Road - Chinese Carbon Diablo - 6.4kg
  • mrwibble
    mrwibble Posts: 980
    it was a 3T arx stem, the max was 5.5nm, we did it to 5nm. it says max torque 5.5 on back of clamping area.

Going to try and get them replaced but I bet 3T refuse

found this

http://anotherdooratthe.endoftheinterne ... ed-carbon/
  • ellj22
    ellj22 Posts: 122
    Looks as though they have been pinched, this can be caused by tightening bolts in the wrong sequence, or having the gap between stem and faceplate unequal top and bottom.

Defiantly see what 3T say, best to do this through the outlet you purchased them from.
  • Monty Dog
    Monty Dog Posts: 20,614
    Chances of a warranty claim are slim but maybe they have a crash replacement scheme? I'm afraid it looks like incorrect installation - think tightening cylinder head bolts
    Make mine an Italian, with Campagnolo on the side..