Specialized Fork Recall-should I still buy

martyh
martyh Posts: 32
edited April 2013 in Road buying advice
Hi there

After spending 3 weeks being consumed by bike purchase options and waking daily thinking about "which bike", I finally narrowed my likely purchase to a Storck Scentron Di2 with Ksyrium SLR or a shop build S Works Tarmac SL4 2012 with Di2 (No wheels though). I Pondered for a couple of days on these 2 bikes, which could be had for the same price, (although the Storck would come from Germany) and a small twist of fate led me to choose the Spesh.
I placed the order Friday afternoon and was elated to be free of the constant internet browsing fixation.
Then Saturday I read of the recall on 3 Spesh models, Tarmac included.
Would you still buy the SL4? In my 20's I wouldn't have hesitated but being a parent im a little more sensible now and Im having my first trip to La Marmotte this July and am slightly concerned I may have a date with some tarmac at 50mph coming off the Galibier.
Any thoughts would be appreciated. Comforting or not!

Comments

• alanparsons
    alanparsons Posts: 529
    edited January 2013
    Company statement here:-

http://ibd.specialized.com/media/whatsnew/Specialized-Important_Safety_Inspection_UK_Forks.pdf

Cannot see a problem with a new build bike.
  • Mccaria
    Mccaria Posts: 869
    If it is a 2012 frame then it needs to be checked. I would talk to the bike shop you are buying from and ensure it is sent to Specialized for inspection. Checked forks will have a sticker put on them to confirm they have been inspected. On the upside there is supposed to be a £100 voucher for the inconvenience.

I collected a 2012 Sworks frame on Friday, about 4 hours before the recall notice !
  • Coogie
    Coogie Posts: 68
    Mccaria wrote:
    If it is a 2012 frame then it needs to be checked. I would talk to the bike shop you are buying from and ensure it is sent to Specialized for inspection. Checked forks will have a sticker put on them to confirm they have been inspected. On the upside there is supposed to be a £100 voucher for the inconvenience.

I collected a 2012 Sworks frame on Friday, about 4 hours before the recall notice !

Can you confirm what the sticker is like? I picked up a new Secteur last Frdiay, and want to check it's OK?

Cheers
  • carrock
    carrock Posts: 1,103
    my crux has been checked. The sticker is on the underneath of the fork, in line with the top of the brake caliper.and is a silver hologramic circular sticker about 10mm in diameter. Should be able to see it without taking the wheel off
  • Mccaria
    Mccaria Posts: 869
    edited April 2013
    It is a small square silver sticker and mine was stuck on the underside of the forks where the brakes are located.

As Carrock has accurately described, one minute before !!
  • Coogie
    Coogie Posts: 68
    Thanks. I have the hologram there, guessed that was probably what it was, but nice to have it confirmed.

I have emailed Specialized also and awaiting reply. I would be amazed if the bike could be supplied in March unchecked, but you never know....

Thanks again, I can relax now.... :roll: