Gears gears gears

joey21
joey21 Posts: 53
edited January 2013 in Workshop
Hi guys, I've got a giant OCR from about 7 years ago or so. The gears used to run pretty well and wouldn't slip, this was with the original wheels and a seven speed freewheel. Since I have changed to a set of Planet X wheels with a seven speed cassette, most gears seem ok but the shift is quite rough. I am competent and have limited the mech properly, changed the cable but they only seem to go one way. I spaced the cassette from behind only, is this right? Thanks

Comments

• ellj22
    ellj22 Posts: 122
    Yes that is correct the spacer sits behind the cassette.

Did you change the chain at the same time? Generally they wear together although if you change chains regularly enough you can change your cassette less often.

The other thing I would recommend is checking the cable routing and that the sections of outer are well cut and seated so the cable runs freely. You can check this by disconnecting the cable from the rear mech and shift through the gears holding the end of the cable tightly, you should feel if there is any excessive friction.
  • cycleclinic
    cycleclinic Posts: 6,865
    If the cable routing is a problem it will most likely show up on the down shift. Change your chain if you have not already other wise it will be a cable tension issue.
    http://www.thecycleclinic.co.uk -wheel building and other stuff.
  • desweller
    desweller Posts: 5,175
    When you say 'changed the cable' do you mean you replaced the inner wire or you changed the housing too?
    - - - - - - - - - -
    On Strava.{/url}