Rim Tape Quick Question

dee4life2005
dee4life2005 Posts: 773
edited January 2013 in Workshop
I've just purchased a new wheel for my bike but it didn't come with rim tape.

The rim is of the kind where the spokes are recessed so the rim tape just has to protect the tubes from blistering into the holes rather than protecting it from the spokes heads. I've read online that if you don't have rim tape then 3 or 4 wrappings of electrical tape would do the job.

As I have loads of sparkies tape, would I be okay to use this? And if so, should this be treated only as a short term measure ?

Ta.

Comments

• owenlars
    owenlars Posts: 719
    Rim tape is about two quid a wheel, why not use the stuff that is designed for the job rather than bodging with insulation tape?
  • I knew it was a big of a bodge, just wondering if a few wraps of sparky tape would be enough.

I've just borrowed the rim tape from my road bike until i can make if to the LBS.
  • I knew it was a big of a bodge, just wondering if a few wraps of sparky tape would be enough.

I've just borrowed the rim tape from my road bike until i can make if to the LBS.

I am sure it will be fine
    left the forum March 2023
  • I used ice hockey stick tape once in an emergency. It lasted for quite a while until I next changed the innertube and had proper rim tape to hand.
    2011 Jamis Ventura Race
    2016 BMC TeamMachine SLR02
  • nehal
    nehal Posts: 18
    Good rim tape is definately worth it. I bought the high pressure continental one from wiggle to replace my stock one which had dimples in it that caused the tube to puncture (I ended up wasting 3 inner tubes before changing the rim tape which fixed the problem) at random locations on the inner side of the tube rather than the outside as is conventionally caused by sharp things making it through your tyres. The higher the tyre pressure, the more inner tube will press into the holes, if the rim tape is not good, then dimples will form which will (from what I can tell) get bigger over time and then cause the inner tube to push up against the spoke nuts and burst.
  • MichaelW
    MichaelW Posts: 2,164
    is there a better tape than velox?
  • MichaelW wrote:
    is there a better tape than velox?

No
    left the forum March 2023