Time for a change...?

XTC2009
XTC2009 Posts: 115
edited January 2013 in MTB general
I love my Giant XTC. We've been on some adventures together and had great fun, and even when it's all gone wrong and we've both been broken she's always got me home.

Now though I spend more and more time on the road. I haven't taken her off the beaten path and onto sweet singletrack for nearly six months, and the slicks have been on. This year I am only planning one off road challenge; the rest are local blacktop rides for charity because its getting much harder to find time to visit my local trail at Cannock Chase.

This presents a dilemma.

I am tempted to get a road bike.

This would be better for the kind of riding I do now - but - do I spend a little less money on completing the road conversion of my XTC and treating it to some rigid forks and bar ends instead? Bearing in mind I've had comfort isdues with the XTC on road over long distances and I'm talking 50, 60, maybe pushing for 100 miles in events this year...

Help!
Wobbly Cyclist

Comments

• nax-ian
    nax-ian Posts: 209
    Had the same dilemma myself a few years back, bought some rigid On-Ones, bar ends, skinny slick tyres generally tried to turn the Kinesis XC into a road bike. It's kind of a compromise cash-wise, but I can tell you it is just NOT the same ride as a carbon road bike, I'm now on my 2nd (a Canyon Ultimate, which'll be for sale in a couple of weeks).Also I'm sure you get a motivational boost from changing disciplines.
    Finished
  • Have you decided considered buying a good second handhand road bike ?

I bought a Trek 1200 for £275 which served me very well until I bought my Giant, Defy Advanced.

By the time you add rigid forks, bar ends and slicks you may find it not much more.
    2006 Giant XTC
    2010 Giant Defy Advanced
    2016 Boardman Pro 29er
    2016 Pinnacle Lithium 4
    2017 Canondale Supersix Evo
  • weeksy59
    weeksy59 Posts: 2,606
    I had this debate...

I bought a Wilier Escape Xenon in Nov... end Nov... i sold it at the weekend.

Road bikes are poor handling, horrible things... they destroy confidence and give you ridiculously cold hands in winter...
  • D4RK1
    D4RK1 Posts: 49
    weeksy59 wrote:
    I had this debate...

Road bikes are poor handling, horrible things... they destroy confidence and give you ridiculously cold hands in winter...

How many road bikes have you ridden to come up with that sweeping conclusion?

I ride both mtb and road, my road bike is a specialized Tarmac and is a brilliant bike to ride. I rode a 55 mile charity ride yesterday and experienced high winds and driving rain and yet still really enjoyed the day. Reaching over 40 on some of the descents and crawling at 4mph on some of the climbs. Never at any time would I describe the bike as confidence destroying with poor handling.
    You are right about cold hands though :lol:

I bought my bike 2nd hand although it was pretty much brand new when I got it. Helped save me a few pennies and got me a much better spec than if I had bought new. It's the way to buy if you can be patient.

I've 100% say go for a road bike over converting your mtb. The turn of speed on them is ridiculous as is the way they roll for ever!

Mark
  • weeksy59
    weeksy59 Posts: 2,606
    D4RK1 wrote:
    weeksy59 wrote:
    I had this debate...

How many road bikes have you ridden to come up with that sweeping conclusion?

I ride both mtb and road, my road bike is a specialized Tarmac and is a brilliant bike to ride. I rode a 55 mile charity ride yesterday and experienced high winds and driving rain and yet still really enjoyed the day. Reaching over 40 on some of the descents and crawling at 4mph on some of the climbs. Never at any time would I describe the bike as confidence destroying with poor handling.
    You are right about cold hands though :lol:

I bought my bike 2nd hand although it was pretty much brand new when I got it. Helped save me a few pennies and got me a much better spec than if I had bought new. It's the way to buy if you can be patient.

I've 100% say go for a road bike over converting your mtb. The turn of speed on them is ridiculous as is the way they roll for ever!

Mark

Just that one. :)
  • I dont get the ultimate buzz riding the road bike generally but there are times when it is nice just jumping on the bike and getting straight into riding from the front door rather than getting to the nearest trail and theres also a saving on cleaning /maintenace.

Road bike gives me a quick fix and develops fitness but wouldn`t be without the mtb.
    2006 Giant XTC
    2010 Giant Defy Advanced
    2016 Boardman Pro 29er
    2016 Pinnacle Lithium 4
  • XTC2009
    XTC2009 Posts: 115
    Thanks for all the replys. I haven't really thought about a 2nd hand road bike... I have been looking a cyclescheme being offered at work. One thing I have thought of though is if I did the upgrades I'd get my bike weight down to about 10.5 kg, which is in the same league as entry level road bikes, but I'd have more gears and better brakes than a road bike.
    Wobbly Cyclist
  • XTC2009 wrote:
    Thanks for all the replys. I haven't really thought about a 2nd hand road bike... I have been looking a cyclescheme being offered at work. One thing I have thought of though is if I did the upgrades I'd get my bike weight down to about 10.5 kg, which is in the same league as entry level road bikes, but I'd have more gears and better brakes than a road bike.

Won`t roll as fast,less efficient riding position,than a proper road bike, but might satisfy you for a while.
    It really comes down to how bothered you are by that. Much as I love my road bike for a more intensive ride, sometimes I just jump on the hardtails for a road ride, and just pootle.
    Different ,less energetic but it`s still a bike ride.

And yes you`ll always appreciate the better brakes,bail out granny gears and the softer ride of fat tyres.
    2006 Giant XTC
    2010 Giant Defy Advanced
    2016 Boardman Pro 29er
    2016 Pinnacle Lithium 4
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    The riding position can be made more efficient with clip on aero bars. This is how I have my hybridised Zaskar LE - 10kg, lots of gears, wide bars, great brakes and it flies on the road and mild/moderate xc.