Bar Tape

aiwa_yamaha
aiwa_yamaha Posts: 137
edited January 2013 in Road beginners
Bought some new bars today and adjusted the shifters to what i thought was ok and now i think they are too low can i undo the bar tape bring the shifters up then redo the bar tape finishing it of with some black electrical to keep it in place or will it not work?

Thanks

Comments

• team47b
    team47b Posts: 6,425
    if you unwind the tape back to the hoods some of the glue will remain on the outside of the tape where it overlapped and will need cleaning off when you have put it back on as the overlaps will never be in the exact same spot, I used a small amount of lighter fluid on a cloth when I did this.

Actually I used tea tree oil but I'm not going to admit that on this forum :roll:
    my isetta is a 300cc bike
  • If it's going to be recovered does this matter? I'm just worried of it not keeping stick
  • Alibran
    Alibran Posts: 370
    It's worked when I've done it. I changed my bars recently, and I had the bar tape off and on again at least 4 or 5 times before I was happy with the position of the shifters. I didn't have a problem with glue on the outside of the tape, but the bar tape I used only has a narrow (about 1cm?) sticky strip down the middle.
  • smidsy
    smidsy Posts: 5,273
    I regularly unwrap and re-wrap bar tape without issue.

The adhesive is only really there to aid installation and if you wrap it properly it will stay put no trouble.

I remember the days when bar tape never even came with adhesive :-)

If you want to make doubly certain you can always wrap insulation tape sticky side out at key points (e.g sharp turns) to give added sticktion (that is a word).
    Yellow is the new Black.
  • Thanks