Volta ao Algarve

team47b
team47b Posts: 6,424
edited February 2013 in Pro race
The exact routes of the race have not been revealed but it has been announced that the stages will be between Faro and Albufeira on February 14 of 198.8km, followed by a stage starting and finishing in Lagoa on February 15 over 195km then a stage between Portimão and Loulé  over 193km on February 16 and finishing with a time trial over 34.2km between Castro Marim and Tavira on the final day of the race on February 17.

the 39th edition of the Tour of the Algarve, which will be held between 14 and 17 February, was presented today at the headquarters of the Portuguese Cycling Federation. He was known to the new organizational structure, the route and the 20 teams whose participation is already confirmed.

Around the Algarve this year will have a balanced and varied route, which will give opportunity to shine to all types of runners. The squad will travel a total of 621.6 kilometers, spread over three stages and an online contrarrelógio individual.

Again, the Return to Algarve assumed as an excellent proof for preparing the classic spring and runs to the main steps for the calendar WorldTour, since the three steps online have a long mileage, which is undulating in hallmark of the region.

The opening stage will connect Faro to Albufeira over 198.8 kilometers. The count of third category mountain, located in the middle of the trip, should not be an obstacle to the decision that happen on the ramps leading up to the goal, where they usually make up the selection of the men who will discuss the triumph in the fast-approaching arrival.

The second shot, starting and ending in Lagoa, leads the squad to do 195 kilometers, with two counts of mountain - one third and one second class, in this Fóia - whose placement in the first half of the race, should enable sprinters pulling gallons by the end of their journey.

On the third day the riders will travel 193 kilometers between Portimao and high Malhão, with the goal to match a premium mountain of second category. Besides expect a first screening in the struggle for yellow jersey, await this day of celebration is in the region because it is the queen and step-up to the race weekend, which should captivate a large audience, both cyclists to rise twice the hard Malhão ramps which are only 2.5 km, but whose average slope is ten percent.

Decisions are saved for the last day, when they compete in the long and selective contrarrelógio, which will connect Castro Marim and Tavira, a distance of 34.8 kilometers.

Apologies if this reads a bit strangely translated!
my isetta is a 300cc bike

Comments

• ShutUpLegs
    ShutUpLegs Posts: 3,522
    Any noteworthy names taking part?
  • team47b
  • Turfle
    Turfle Posts: 3,762
    Live on Eurosport again this year.
  • Ron Stuart
    Ron Stuart Posts: 1,242
    We will be there again this year, arriving on the 11th of Feb until 9th March and hoping for last years weather again.We shall be doing training rides and also rides with the Lagos Road Bike Club.

I have received via a contact with Jonathan Tiernan-Locke a pdf of the route cards, I could email it if anyone wants to message with email address.

Wiggo and Froomie going to Oman instead which is a shame probably due to this only being 4 days this year. Still Cav's there with Tony Martin the favorite for the TT.

Eurosport Calendar Here... http://uk.yahoo.eurosport.com/cycling/c ... ea85.shtml

Wiggo at the start of last years Volta and what a year the boy had!!!
    423379_10150709013714524_1776396919_n.jpg
  • ocdupalais
    ocdupalais Posts: 4,229
    Another stage race in the bag for OPQS and Martin? Whoever's aiming to win the GC who's not Tony M will prob need to have well over a minute in hand on him going into TT on final stage IMHO... De Gendt, maybe, for GC?

Initial Points of Interest For Me
    All I ask is for a flash of something from JTL (ok, ok - getting boring, I know...);
    an Angolan Team rider to get in a break,
    some fireworks from team Colombia (ideally Jhon Darwin Atapuma Hurtado - or 'Ata-boy!' - for his great name, alone),
    How Boswell copes,
    How Dowsett copes...
  • Turfle
    Turfle Posts: 3,762
    So not live on Eurosport then.

How disappointing.
  • Only highlights on Eurosport2 apparently..
  • TMR
    TMR Posts: 3,986
    Cav is there. Hope he does well.
  • Have to say - route looks really sh*t this year. They may aswell have just had the ITT. Also, didn't this used to be a week long race?
  • Have to say - route looks really sh*t this year. They may aswell have just had the ITT. Also, didn't this used to be a week long race?

Common story - economic situation. Cut back by a day this year, but wasnt it only recently confirmed as going ahead...?
  • Common story - economic situation. Cut back by a day this year, but wasnt it only recently confirmed as going ahead...?
    Yeah, it wasn't even supposed to happen this year until very close to the date.
  • Lightning wrote:
    Common story - economic situation. Cut back by a day this year, but wasnt it only recently confirmed as going ahead...?
    Yeah, it wasn't even supposed to happen this year until very close to the date.

Supose it can't be helped then.

Congratulations on the victory to Tony Martin anyway... :lol:
  • Vorganov, Paulinho, Txurruka, Corti and Jones with 3 mins and 90km.

Good to see Txurruka there. Now riding for Caja Rural. He is a pure racer with panache figuratively tatooed on his legs.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • BDEvl8-CUAAjvEv.jpg:large
    Contador is the Greatest
  • Shock...Cav didnt win sprint

Paul Martens (Blanco) won

Kudos to the Blanco guys for their racing so far this season
  • inkyfingers
    inkyfingers Posts: 4,400
    Guessing it wasn't a pure sprinters finish then?
    "I have a lovely photo of a Camargue horse but will not post it now" (Frenchfighter - July 2013)
  • 'Uphill power sprint'

Stage 1 Results
    GER 1 MARTENS, Paul (BLANCO PRO CYCLING TEAM) 5:07:29
    POR 2 MACHADO, Tiago (RADIOSHACK LEOPARD)
    NED 3 BOS, Theo (BLANCO PRO CYCLING TEAM)
    ITA 4 NIZZOLO, Giacomo (RADIOSHACK LEOPARD)
    BEL 5 SPRENGERS, Thomas (TOPSPORT VLAANDEREN - BALOISE)
    GBR 6 CAVENDISH, Mark (OMEGA PHARMA - QUICK-STEP CYCLING TEAM)
    BEL 7 VAN ASBROECK, Tom (TOPSPORT VLAANDEREN - BALOISE)
    POR 8 FARIA DA COSTA, Rui Alberto (MOVISTAR TEAM)
    ITA 9 BAZZANA, Alessandro (UNITEDHEALTHCARE PRO CYCLING TEAM)
    POR 10 CALDEIRA, Samuel José Rodrigues (OFM - QUINTA DA LIXA)

General Classification after Stage 1
    GER 1 MARTENS, Paul (BLANCO PRO CYCLING TEAM) 5:07:19
    POR 2 MACHADO, Tiago (RADIOSHACK LEOPARD) + 4
    NED 3 BOS, Theo (BLANCO PRO CYCLING TEAM) + 6
    ITA 4 NIZZOLO, Giacomo (RADIOSHACK LEOPARD) + 10
    BEL 5 SPRENGERS, Thomas (TOPSPORT VLAANDEREN - BALOISE)
    GBR 6 CAVENDISH, Mark (OMEGA PHARMA - QUICK-STEP CYCLING TEAM)
    BEL 7 VAN ASBROECK, Tom (TOPSPORT VLAANDEREN - BALOISE)
    POR 8 FARIA DA COSTA, Rui Alberto (MOVISTAR TEAM)
    ITA 9 BAZZANA, Alessandro (UNITEDHEALTHCARE PRO CYCLING TEAM)
    POR 10 CALDEIRA, Samuel José Rodrigues (OFM - QUINTA DA LIXA)
    Contador is the Greatest
  • Next three days:
    profile-02.jpg
    profile-03.jpg
    profile-04.jpg
    Contador is the Greatest
  • team47b
    It was cut to four days from five to save money for the local councils who couldn't afford the 160,000 euros!

Going out tomorrow and will be on stage two route at around the 140 km point, will try and get some photos :D
  • FJS
    FJS Posts: 4,820
    Considering Meersman and Ilbert won this finish last two years, Martens isnt that much if a surprise. Bos 3rd on an uphill finish more so
  • team47b wrote:
    Going out tomorrow and will be on stage two route at around the 140 km point, will try and get some photos :D

Sounds good!
    Contador is the Greatest
  • IMG_9153.jpg
    IMG_9121.jpg
    IMG_9521.jpg
    01-finish-IMG_9610-640.jpg

Btw, JTL, Uran and Henao are riding for Sky, Atapuma for Colombia, Machado for RS (was 2nd yday) and Chavanel and Kwiatowski for OPQS.

Look to Dowsett to take his first win for Movistar in the TT although Martin is riding.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • jerry3571
    jerry3571 Posts: 1,532
    That was an interesting race. Result was mainly created by cock ups in the race organisation on the last roundabout and local buses getting involved with the race. A few riders going the wrong way down a one way road with lots of traffic. Got all a bit Mr Magoo in the end. :shock:

Jerry
    “Life is like riding a bicycle. To keep your balance you must keep moving”- Albert Einstein

"You can't ride the Tour de France on mineral water."
    -Jacques Anquetil
  • dab_32
    dab_32 Posts: 94
    The route planning looked even worse than the motorbike camera work on Eurosport. Cameramen with hangovers possibly??

That last roundabout was just dumb. Especially with traffic on the other side of the road and riders bunny hopping central reservations.
  • Bos wins stage 2.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • team47b
  • mfin
    mfin Posts: 6,729
    Any video links to highlights on this too?
  • mfin wrote:
    Any video links to highlights on this too?

Highlights on Eurosport 2 at 2230-2300 and tomorrow 0730-0800 (BE1) and 0930-1000
  • Queen stage tomorrow. I'm hoping for some Sky Colombian/JTL fireworks
  • Brian1
    Brian1 Posts: 595
    Sorry to hijack this thread but I notice that you are in Portugal 47b. I was in the Algarve last week and looked at an appartment in Tavira.Do you know if there are any good routes in the area. What area are you in?