2013 Giant Defy 1 or 2013 Cube Peloton Race

Meerkat16
Meerkat16 Posts: 320
edited January 2013 in Road buying advice
Hi As the title says I am undecided between which of these two to buy. I know they are both great bikes but what are current owners of these bikes think of them..

Comments

• SeeFarr
    SeeFarr Posts: 14
    The Defy 1 always gets rave reviews in mags and online. From what ive read the Cube is a little bumpy through the rear but ive also heard a few people say they love it.
  • Meerkat16
    There must be members on here who have one of these bikes who can give their opinion on them?
  • simon_e
    simon_e Posts: 1,706
    Meerkat16 wrote:
    There must be members on here who have one of these bikes who can give their opinion on them?
    How would it help? They may be a totally different kind of rider, weight, height, tastes and preferences... For the same reason magazine reviews are irrelevant.

Both are great bikes. Just pick one and enjoy it.
    Aspire not to have more, but to be more.
  • Err Simon E

Isn't that the point of aweb based forum - to share your own points of views and opinions.

I don't own either bikebut I think that Defy's are a bit to common on the roads for my liking.

Cheers

Stephen
  • Meerkat16
    Thanks worcester19. As you say i thought this was the best place to post my question. There may be members who bought the Defy regretted it and sold it to buy the Cube or visa versa. If so why etc. Some members may have comments on certain components of their bike.
  • Mickyg88
    Mickyg88 Posts: 289
    Agree with SimonE, how old are you, can you not make your mind up over two bikes, it's not rocket science you know!
  • Meerkat16
    Not rocket science but it is a lot of money to spend. I am more than capable of making my own mind up but if i can read as much reviews etc as i can and listen to owners of these bikes then with all advice etc i feel whichever bike i go for will be the correct choice for me. It's not asking anybody to choose a bike for me but rather tell me their opinions/experience etc and i will make me and only me will choose one of the two. No harm in that is there?
  • simon_e
    simon_e Posts: 1,706
    I think you're missing my point. Bikes are so good now that reviews are picking tiny differences instead of saying "bike A is much better than bike B, which is heavy and a bit of a dog". You don't need to choose which one is 'correct' or 'best', but the one that appeals more to you personally.

Very few people may have owned both models so the opinions of owners on here, none of whom you know, are highly subjective and biased, and even if they rode both models they are unlikely have the experience to pick out qualitative differences in handling etc.

I understand completely that you want to make a good choice. Check the reviews at http://www.bikeradar.com/gear/category/bikes/road if you like but you'd be better off going to look at the bikes in a real shop.
    I don't own either bikebut I think that Defy's are a bit to common on the roads for my liking.
    A really helpful response! :roll:
    Aspire not to have more, but to be more.
  • My advice would be to try them both out if you can, you might have your mind set on one, sit on it, then find the geometry is all out for you.

Ive got a Cube GTC Race, more expensive than the model you are looking at but can recommend Cubes in general, good spec, well built, and get good reviews. The only thing i would look out for is that Cube tend to aim their bikes slightly towards various race geometry, so some might not suit your style of riding.

Ive ridden Giants and think they are great to, generally the Defy 1 tends to just pip all others in that price range. You wont go wrong with either bike and im sure you'll love whatever you buy, but be honest with yourself and ask what you want from it riding wise, then sit on one, then decide.

Just dont come back on here and tell everyone you bought something else instead... :D
  • letap73
    letap73 Posts: 1,608
    I think that Defy's are a bit to common on the roads for my liking.

Could it be possible that that the Defy is common because it is actually a good bike?
  • letap73 wrote:
    I think that Defy's are a bit to common on the roads for my liking.

Could it be possible that that the Defy is common because it is actually a good bike?

:D
  • Meerkat16
    Thanks for all the advice etc. Much appreciated. Decided to go for the Defy due to being more of an upright sitting position which I prefer and my previous back injury will thank me for :-) Went to look again at the Defy 1 and to place order i spotted the Defy Composite 3 which was not in the store when I last went in. Very impressed and great reviews. So now it is the Defy 1 or if when i look my bank balance is better than I think it is than the Composite it is lol
  • I have a Defy 1 (and love it!!) Went on Pedalon.co.uk and worked out what I could get free with it from the site...then asked the shop to match it, so you might be able to negotiate some nice bits with it. Enjoy!